I'm leaving for a while...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jan 21, 2022.

1. CoinTalkJim

CoinTalkJim Active Member

Here is;

1993, 300 Anniversary of the Russian Navy, “The Providens of God”, the first combatant liner of Russian Construction.On the other side is the symbol (the cross) of the Order of the St. Apostle Andrew. Proof, German Silver (nickle).

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Good luck, @hotwheelsearl. Wishing you all the best with your upcoming career. The Dolphin Corps are cool! :)
    007-Dolphin.jpg
    Southern Apulia, Tarentum, c. 272-240 BC.
    AR Nomos (19mm, 6.32g, 9h)
    Obv: Warrior on horseback riding r., holding spear.
    Rev: Taras astride dolphin l., holding kantharos and distaff ; ΔI and oinochoe behind.
    Vlasto 904-6; HNItaly 1040.

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@hotwheelsearl …good luck at OCS. Remember you have a unique opportunity so strive to do your best in everything you encounter. When you graduate, you will be a different person…better, but there are some doors you go through that irreversibly change your life. This is one of them. In advance, thank you for your service and your sacrifice. Remember who you are and your purpose.

Good luck in your endeavor…Spark

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I joined the Air Force in 1961 and spent 4 years on a US Navy Ammunition Depot. All services need all services. Keep in touch,

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Congratulations and the best of luck to you, @hotwheelsearl! No Internet access for 9 weeks? Wow. I think I understand the reasons, but are you old enough even to remember a time before the Internet? Can you at least bring along a coin or two to keep you company?

Here are a few at least vaguely nautically-themed coins for you (with footnotes omitted):

Thrace, Apollonia Pontika [now Sozopol, Bulgaria], AR Drachm, ca. 450-500 BCE. Obv. Upright anchor with large flukes and curved stock; “A” [for Apollonia] to left and crayfish to right between flukes and stock / Rev. Facing gorgoneion (Medusa), wavy hair parted in middle, 16 thin, open-mouthed snakes around head as additional hair or crown, puffy cheeks, mouth open, tongue protruding (but not extending below chin), all within shallow incuse. Goldsborough Type 3 [Goldsborough, Reid, Apollonia Pontika Drachms (see https://web.archive.org/web/20141115000124/http://medusacoins.reidgold.com/apollonia.html), Catalogue of Types]; Seaby GCV 1655 var. (crayfish to left, A to right) [Sear, David, Greek Coins and their Values, Vol. 1: Europe (Seaby 1978); Topalov 41-42 [Topalov, Stavri, Apollonia Pontika: Contribution to the Study of the Coin Minting of the City 6th - 1st c. B.C., Catalogue of Apollonia Coins, 7th-1st c. B.C. (Sofia, 2007) (English Translation, Kindle edition)]; BMC 15 Mysia 8-10 [Wroth, Warwick, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 15, Mysia (London, 1892) at pp. 8-9]; SNG.BM.159; see also id. Nos. 154-158 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Great Britain, Volume IX, British Museum, Part 1: The Black Sea (London, 1993)] [online ID SNGuk_0901_0159 ]. 14 mm., 2.96 g., 3 h.

[​IMG]

Tarentum, Calabria. AR Nomos (didrachm), ca. 302-280 BCE. Magistrates Sa.., Arethon and Cas-. Obv. Youth on horseback right, crowning horse with wreath; magistrates' names: ΣA to left and AΡE/ΘΩN in two lines below/ Rev. TAΡAΣ, Phalanthos astride dolphin left, holding tripod, CAΣ below. Vlasto 666 [Ravel, O.E., Descriptive Catalogue of the Collection of Tarentine Coins formed by M.P. Vlasto (London, 1947, reprinted)]; HN Italy 957 [Rutter, N.K., ed., Historia Numorum Italy (London, 2001)]; SNG ANS 1046 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, USA, The Collection of the American Numismatic Society, Part 1: Etruria - Calabria (New York 1969)]. 23 mm., 7.86 g.

[​IMG]

Roman Republic, C. Fonteius, AR Denarius, 114-113 BCE. Obv. Laureate, Janiform head of the Dioscuri, control mark N under left chin [mark of value * (= 16) under right chin is worn off], one dot beneath head / Rev. Galley left with three rowers, gubernator (pilot) at stern, rudder beneath stern, apotropaic eye on side, three-pronged ram with wolf’s head above extending from prow, banners/streamers extending from stern, C • FONT above (N and T in monogram), ROMA below. Crawford 290/1, RSC I Fonteia 1 (ill.), Sear RCV I 167 (ill.), Sydenham 555. 20 mm., 3.90 g. Ex: Auctiones GmbH, eAuction 67, Lot 55, 15 March 2020; Ex: CNG Auction May 2012, Lot 293; Ex: Bruce R. Brace Collection.

[​IMG]

Roman Republic, L Lucretius Trio, AR Denarius, 76 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Neptune right, XXXIII above and trident behind/ Rev. Cupid (or Infant Genius) on dolphin right; L LVCRETIVS TRIO. Crawford 390/2, Sydenham 784, RSC I Lucretia 3, Sear RCV I 322 (ill.), Harlan, RRM I Ch. 16 at pp. 98, 100-103 [Michael Harlan, Roman Republican Moneyers and their Coins, 81 BCE-64 BCE (Vol. I) (2012)], BMCRR Rome 3247. 19 mm., 3.9 g.

[​IMG]

Agrippa (d. 12 BCE), AE As, Memorial issue struck by Caligula, 37-41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Head of Agrippa left, wearing rostral crown, M AGRIPPA L - F COS III / Rev. Neptune standing left, holding trident in left hand; dolphin resting left on his right forearm; S - C on either side of Neptune. RIC I Caligula [Gaius] 58, Sear RCV I 1812, Cohen Agrippa 3. 31 mm., 11.0 g.

[​IMG]

Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, AR Denarius [Restored Issue of Mark Antony Legionary Denarius Leg. VI, probably issued for 200th anniversary of Battle of Actium], 168-169 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Praetorian galley moving left over waves with four crew members, ANTONIVS AVGVR around from 8 o’clock, IIIVIR R P C across below galley / Rev. Legionary eagle (aquila) facing left between two standards, ANTONINVS ET VERVS AVG REST [ = Restituit] around from 8 o’clock, LEG - VI across lower field. RIC III M. Aurelius 443 (at p. 248), RSC I Mark Antony 83 (ill. at p. 127), Sear RCV II 5236 (ill. at p. 341), BMCRE 500. 19 mm., 2.86 g.

[​IMG]

7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

God bless you in your career! My poor example is not much, but it is a porpoise from Olbia, cast in bronze, leaping above the waves.
    IMG_0968.JPG

8. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

Travel well, travel safe.

Southernman189 likes this.
  9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Wishing you best of luck on your endavours. May you steer clear of Scylla and may Neptune protect you on your travels.

0.13.png

19.3.png

10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Thank you for you service commitment - anchors aweigh! :)

Ty7B5NAso4M52z3SYMn62L9fQq86iJ.jpg

11. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Good luck, my friend. Stay safe, keep your head above water. We’ll look for you on the other side of training.

Steve

12. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

Great going. Just remember nothing crapy will last forever it will end. I wish you big success.

Southernman189 and kountryken like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

....right..i'm wid ya on dat bro....:D...:bucktooth::cat::cigar:

Southernman189 and usmc 6123 like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Best wishes for a wonderful new career!

[​IMG]

Ryro, +VGO.DVCKS, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

No coin, but best wishes!!!

Southernman189 likes this.
  16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks, everybody, for sharing your coins and sharing your stories! I appreciate the showers of goodwill, you all are the best :D

17. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

I don’t have any nautical themed coins, but best of luck to you!

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

If I can get one more in under the wire, in time for you to see it, here's perhaps my favorite depiction of a ship, even though it's not on an ancient coin:

Great Britain 1815 (struck 1820), Surrender of Napoleon. Obv. Bust of Napoleon right, uniformed; NAPOLEON BONAPARTE; signature below / Rev. British man of war Bellerophon, in full sail, with Imperial Eagle on flag staff; Napoleon stands on quarterdeck with right hand inside coat; another ship beyond; SURRENDERED TO H.B.M.S. BELLEROPHON CAPT. MAITLAND. Exergue: XV JULY. MDCCCXV; signatures below. By T. Webb/N.G.A Brenet. AR 41 mm., 38.8 g. Eimer 1078, Mudie 37, BHM 884, Bramsen 1691. Ex. Spink Auction 136, Oct. 7, 1999, Lot 992.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I imagine that ships have changed a bit since then, and you won't have to learn things like the names and functions of every single rope and sail!

+VGO.DVCKS, TIF, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  19. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I was an Army Medic for nine years 1973-1982 so we are brothers in Arms. Good luck to you sir <salute>. Just be careful and come back safely. Here are the only Navy type coins I have. WIN_20220122_09_13_09_Pro.jpg WIN_20220122_09_13_46_Pro.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML, ominus1 and 5 others like this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is to your successful navy training and safe return, @hotwheelsearl !

These are some of my nautical-themed coins.

Hadrian As Galley - Example #1 - OBV:REV - GP .png Hadrian As Galley - Example #2 - OBV:REV - GP .png Hadrian As Galley - Example #3 - OBV:REV - OKP .png Marcus Antonius denarius galley LEGIO XII - OBV-REV - original  - 1.jpeg Rhode Island Ship Token OBV:REV - GP! - 2021.png

21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thanks for your service and good luck! Your additions and posts will be missed in the interim.
    Some nautical themed RRs:
    Screenshot_20210331-155707_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png 2217834_1632778050.l-removebg-preview.png 2091197_1627720001.l-removebg-preview.png 1224925_1591361402-removebg-preview.png

Draft saved Draft deleted