I'm leaving for a while...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Good luck and have a great career.

+VGO.DVCKS, kountryken and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Best of luck, stay safe, and thank you for your service.

panzerman likes this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you, @hotwheelsearl, as you enter this new phase of life. I have a friend -- now retired after 25 years with the Navy -- who was a USN oceanographer.

Here's my favorite nautical coin:

[​IMG]
    Gratian, AD 367-383.
    Roman Æ maiorina, 5.90 g, 21.4 mm, 11 h.
    Constantinople, AD 383.
    Obv: D N GRATIA-NVS P F AVG, helmeted, draped and cuirassed bust, right, holding spear and shield.
    Rev: GLORIA RO-MANORVM, Emperor standing facing, head right, on ship, raising right hand. Victory seated at helm. No wreath in field; in exergue, CONΓ.
    Refs: RIC 52a (unlisted officina).

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Fare Thee Well, @hotwheelsearl - my Dad was a Captain and retired after 30 years of service. One thing he mentioned is that the first time he crossed the equator in the South Pacific as an ensign on the U.S.S. Black there was a celebration featuring Neptune and his bride, accompanied with lots of beer. He also attended the same OCS in Rhode Island as you are going to attend.

Septimius Severus, A.R. Denarius, Rome mint, 210 C.E.

3.3 grams, 19.1 mm

Obverse: Laureate head right, SEVERVS PIVS AVG

Reverse: PMTRP XVIII COS III PP

Neptune standing left, nude but for cloak over left shoulder and right arm, right foot on rock, right arm resting on right knee, trident vertical behind in left hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+VGO.DVCKS, kountryken, Limes and 7 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome, @hotwheelsearl , and good luck to you!

my Grandfather was Navy during WWII, was in kamakaze attacks, his ship was a temporary Flagship for Halsey, at many of the major engagements from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima. He carved his engagements on his knife sheath, and I was able to read all but one.

Here is an Unusual RUDDER version

[​IMG]

Rome.
    Lead tessera c. 1st cent. AD
    Fortuna standing left, resting rudder on ground with right hand, holding cornucopia in left
    Large DP
    Rostovtsev 2307; Ruggerio 808-9; 13mm, 1.39 g, 12h; good VF
    Ex Tom Vossen collection of Roman lead objects.
    Ex: Gert Boersema Ancient Coins (NL)

8. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you for starting your service. As a Marine, we need more Sailors to transport us - After all. The USN is the Chauffeur service for the Marines! LOL and Semper Fi

9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Good luck and enjoy your new career. Get back to us when you are able. I am not an Ancients collector but here are three seafarers for you. Explorer, military and Governor
    DSC00658-tile.jpg DSC00660-tile.jpg DSC00662-tile.jpg

10. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

11. jdmKY

jdmKY Well-Known Member

Here are a few -
    1581F1B2-5E88-43ED-99B6-5E7038EC52B0.jpeg 56E132D9-B9F9-4741-A5E0-B4620DA06BC0.jpeg
    Staius Murcus, 42-41 BC, head of Neptune

CBD23301-77D5-4FD2-A1DE-1787326CC340.jpeg 2221EBA1-1645-46A5-A4DF-8846823CE491.jpeg
    Brutus, 42 BC, head of Neptune

C064E8E5-1890-4528-894A-AF1B019DF61B.jpeg
    7AC0AEC7-6A82-479F-B05D-9701989A7303.jpeg
    Sextus Pompey, 42-40 BC, hopefully you never run into Scylla!

B99F5579-A30E-489E-A6A4-E12495858BDF.jpeg
    28A1D718-76A9-4E2E-9CD6-ABC961EC4D5E.jpeg
    Ahenobarbus, 41-40 BC, prow and trophy.

Good luck, @hotwheelsearl !

Attached Files:

12. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Good luck! Here is a coin with a nautical scene:
    Obv.: IMP C ALLECTVS PF AVG
    Rev.: VIRTVS AVG -- QC
    Mint: Colchester
    RIC 55ff

These coins are sometimes called Quinarius. Are they really a different denomination from the usual Antoninian?

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 17.13.16.png

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats and good luck

[​IMG]
    Gratianus, AE 2 - Cyzicus mint, 5th officina
    D N GRATIA NVS P F AVG, Diademed, helmeted and draped bust of Gratianus right
    GLORIA ROMANORUM, Gratianus standing left on a prow of galley, driven by a victory. Wreath in shield, SMK gamma at exergue
    5.68 gr
    Ref : Cohen #25, RC #4138, LRBC #2548

Q

14. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Congratulations, @hotwheelsearl; I wish you nothing but the best for OCS and your future career.

I don’t have any nautical-themed ancients. However, this should fit the bill quite nicely (no pun intended).

7EC67A17-03B0-4B2F-8F2B-D66A464C36F9.jpeg
    209C7F62-0C9F-44F9-9368-5BB7ADA217BB.jpeg

15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Wish you the best in your career:D Since I cannot swim, I will stay on land;)
    Here is a shipwreck salvage AV 8 Escudos 1751-So (Santiago Mint) Fernando VI of Spain/ Colonial Chile Mint.
    ex: Luz shipwreck CH-MS IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0075.JPG

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

congrats and good luck, I like this comparison of the ships on the reverse of coins of the RR & Pereus
    ship prow of Pereus and a Roman Republic.jpg Pereus and a Roman Republic.jpg

17. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

That is the way to go. My father joined the U.S. Navy when he was 17. His father had to sign for him. That was 1942. He was in training when Pearl Harbor was struck. (I was born in the Navy Hospital in Hawaii.) During WWII he was the corpsman on a submarine in the South Pacific. (He was the doctor on board.) After WW II, He enlisted in the Army. He was stationed at Landstuhl Army Hospital. He was sent to Korea during the Korea "War". During the Vietnam "Conflict" he was the doctor on a fire base. He served for 32 Years. He had a Bronze Star, Silver Star and 3 Purple Hearts among other decorations. After 3 wars he lived through, he was killed when a drunk truck driver ran over him in his car.
    My brother served 20+ years in the Navy. He had 3 tours on a ship in Vietnam. His ship was fired upon several times. My bother was wounded several times. He doesn't talk about his service. He has PTSD, sleeps on the floor and has difficulty talking about his service.
    I am very proud of my father's and brother's willingness to serve.
    As for me, I was drafted in 1968. I took Basic Training at Fort Bragg, NC, Advanced Infantry Training at Fort Dix, NJ, Jump School at Fort Benning, GA with "permanent duty" at Fort Bragg, NC, 82nd Airborne Division, 3rd Brigade, "Courts and Boards", Staff Judge Advocate, all because they found out I could type.
    Due to the "Sullivan Act" from WW II, my Brigade Commander, Colonel Greer, pulled all orders, transferring me to Vietnam. I serve 2 years at a desk.
    That is the reason I admire your service. Our hearts and Prayers will be with you.

18. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

19. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Congratulations @hotwheelsearl that is really to be very proud of.

Wish you all the success and satisfaction in this awesome career with the US Navy.

May Poseidon bring always safe and gentle waters.

AΥT•K•KΛAΥΔIOC•CЄB Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right /
    Poseidon standing left, right foot resting on dolphin, holding torch (variously described as grain ear, sword, ship's ram, aphlaston) in right hand and trident in left; across fields regnal year LB
    upload_2022-1-21_11-43-29.png

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Congratulations GO NAVY... "You'll be back" be safe. Thanks for serving!

21. Millard

Millard Coindog

Congratulations and Godspeed. You've got a lot of hard work ahead of you, and if you're of a mind to and are permitted a cell phone in the off hours you can access Coin Talk from it!

Draft saved Draft deleted