I'm having trouble calling this one.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bruthajoe, Jan 21, 2020.

1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I'm having a personal debate with declaring this condition. I've dismissed damage. Missing clad maybe?
    200121_142605.jpg 200121_142644.jpg 200121_142929.jpg 200121_143022.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

But it is damage!

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Cents aren't clad, so it can't be a missing clad layer.

Is the coin thinner than other cents?

The diagonal streaks look like improper mixing of the alloy this was struck from (the "woody" effect).

There's definitely environmental damage, but I don't know what else might have been going on before that. It certainly looks like it started out as a weak strike, at least to me.

5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Enviormentally damaged surfaces -

not the typical 'acid treated' kind, but
    some type of corrosive liquid, especially
    on the reverse side.

Obv. 'looks' like planchet streaks (woodie)
    but I don't think that's the original cause.

Kentucky, medoraman and paddyman98 like this.
  6. bruthajoe

Thing is the legends are barely raised on the field but , the rim is fine. The damage does not seem evenly distributed over the entire surface.
    Clad duh. Right

7. bruthajoe

1.4 mm

Attached Files:

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why.. Never dismiss it.

It's DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged :yack:

And what Fred Weinberg stated!

I_like_Morgans and bruthajoe like this.
  9. bruthajoe

I've dismissed damage because the rim seems unaffected. And the reverse has the same features but it has a better relief.

10. bruthajoe

I think Fred Weinberg posted "looks like wire brush" in the wrong thread. It's okay I got it

11. bruthajoe

Thing is the legends are barely raised on the field but , the rim is fine. The damage does not seem evenly distributed over the entire surface.

12. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Why would it have to be evenly distributed across the surfaces?

13. bruthajoe

If it was environmental or submerged in acid wouldn't the damage be consistent throughout the fields, legends and rim? PS I'm not disregarding the census of damage and I thank everyone for their input.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  14. paddyman98

I don't know what you are seening but it looks to me like damage on the Rim also o_O

15. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

how is the rim fine?
    Rim on the reverse looks to be damaged by at least the same thing that damaged the EPU ?

If the damage was done by hand, or even machine (such as a small dremel where one has to move it across the area), why would you think it *should be evenly distributed*?
    upload_2020-1-21_16-19-36.png

16. bruthajoe

I'm really not entertaining this is due to some sort of machining. This is an extremely difficult pattern to achieve and there would be no reason for a person to do so. I accept environmental damage but what gets me is the rim and date have very crisp reliefs on the obverse where I would expect the edges of the legends to be rounded over and less uniform across the whole surface with more pitting. Corrosion attacks the corners, sharp edges and weak spots before it attacks the flat surfaces and Fields. ??? Such a perfectly weathered penny. 200121_163205.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  17. bruthajoe

A little coin brightner to shed more light on the subject, literally. From this can I suggest wood effect is caused by certain environmental conditions that form deposits along the grain pattern of the planchets used in these time periods that are not otherwise very visible, Perhaps?
    200121_204837.jpg

18. bruthajoe

19. paddyman98

Now the date and the lettering does not look as crisp as you say it did before. The 4 is smooshed.

IMHO

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's best to post good images from the start. You get better answers that way.
    Either way, it's clear that it's a well worn damaged coin.

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The 4 has been flattened or smashed.

Draft saved Draft deleted