I'm going to ask anyways!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Youngcoin, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hi everyone I know this is most likely PMD and has been smashed flat on its face but I'm going to ask anyways! Also I think it may have die scratches. It is a 1994 P quarter and specificly look at LIBERTY because it looks smashed on its face I also took pictures of everything magnified in case it's a variety (cool to find a P Mintmark in Michigan!) Also I found a sort of home invention for a make shift magnifying glass that will help me until I get a real one.

I'll start with the coins obverse and reverse and comparison to a normal quarter (I may have too many pictures for one post so some may be in the next post)
    20171015_151405.jpg 20171015_151420.jpg 20171015_151545.jpg

Now here are some magnified photos of the obverse (let me know if you need anymore)

20171015_151457.jpg 20171015_151509.jpg 20171015_151516.jpg

Now here are some magnified photos of the other parts of the obverse

20171015_151525.jpg 20171015_151533.jpg

Also here what I belive are the die scratches between r-t-y in LIBERTY

20171015_151606.jpg

And now for the makeshift magnifying glass I found, it actually is a flashlight part that spreads the light, also if you have any good magnifying glass options the are relatively cheap let me know.

20171015_151658.jpg

It's also a decent flashlight!

(Also I know this may be a noob question but thank you for looking!)

Thanks,
    Jacob

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What is the question?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, those aren't die scratches. It is die deterioration. Second, die scratches really don't add any value to the coin.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Youngcoin

I would like to know If it is a type of die deterioration, doubling, variety, error ect. Or most likely PMD. Sorry if I didn't clarify correctly. Also in the IN GOD WE TRUST Is that a lightly grease filled die in the IN and T in TRUST.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  6. Youngcoin

Thanks Chris I was just wondering I don't care much for value because I'll most likely never sell my collection just pass it on to my kids one day, and I'm just trying to learn about erros varietys ect. And I need to learn more because I've given 2 post of bad information to people due to my stupidity thinking I knew enough to answer it.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

As Chris said, die deterioration with what looks like a little orange peel effect, also deterioration. The flattened letters could have been caused by a coin rolling machine. But you also have a coin that has been in circulation for over 20 years...

8. Youngcoin

Thank you tommy!

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Kudos for thinking outside the box in regards to the flashlight, but it's clear from your photos that the optical quality is very low, and the last thing you want to do is overstrain your eyes, especially at your age.

There are countless cheap magnifiers available, but the vast majority IME are also of low optical quality even if better than what you're now using. Unfortunately, this seems to be an area in which one really does (generally) get what they pay for, but quality glass can last a lifetime, and all things considered, be an excellent investment if you end up staying involved. Personally, I have and used Eschenbach (3x6x9), but anything Zeiss would likely be a no-brainer as well. They're very costly, though, so hopefully someone else can make a few more affordable yet experienced recommendations.

That said, is there chance your parents have any old camera lenses laying around?

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Youngcoin

Thank you for the reply, I would invest in one if I had the money and I'm afraid when I start to attend colledge my collecting will come to a temporary halt, and no I think the chances of those being around are very slim although I'll ask, what about old scope lenses?

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

A free way to get a larger view is to just edit the photo and resize part or all of the image... I use Paint. It's free with Windows.
    example:
    upload_2017-10-15_16-29-7.png

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I take most of my close up photos with a $10 loupe off Amazon and my iPhone. Don’t need much more than that. You need a 10x anyhow for finding varieties so it’s worth the investment.

13. Youngcoin

14. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

I'm 62. I have given up on buying 3 Cent Silver Pieces and Half Dimes, they all look alike to me now. Gimmee a good old 5 OZ Silver Burger Hockey Puck ATB these days I say...
    [​IMG]

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Anyone who has never made a mistake is not trying, so don't worry about it. At least you are trying!

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Youngcoin

Thank you Chris! some postive encouragement! Just what I needed!

Thanks,
    Jacob

Draft saved Draft deleted