I'm back.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Detecto92, Aug 10, 2014.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Saying that you are "almost 20" and have founded 2 companies of which you are the CEO which employs 3 people of which one is a man of the age 55, does little for me if I do not know what the "company" names are. And as CEO is it safe to assume that both company's are incorporated? If not, do your "companies" have a "Board of Director's" that you, as CEO, report to?

Are these employee's "full time employee's" that collect regular weekly paychecks of which you withhold and pay Federal Income Tax on?

It all sounds very convincing as you've obviously "convinced" yourself of your importance. Now, its a question of convincing everybody else.

As for the "investments"? $15,000 is NOTHING from an "investment" standpoint and quite frankly, boasting profitability over a $15K nest egg seems, well, bloated.

Is the 55 year old man your Father? Are the other two employees neighborhood friends?

Be honest.

Had you NOT stated that you were 20, my life's experience would have cut you some slack. BUT, my life's experience has taught me that the Internet has the capability of creating Warren Buffet's who only own a laptop and a little knowledge on exactly how much other folks are willing to swallow.

It's called Catfishing.

CEO (from Wikipedia)
    A chief executive officer (CEO) is generally the most senior corporate officer (executive) or administrator in charge of managing a for-profit or non-profit organization. An individual appointed as a CEO of a corporation, company, organization, or agency typically reports to the board of directors.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I'm sorry... And this is VERY blunt.

I don't believe it. In our private conversations you have convinced me without a shadow of a doubt that you really have no idea what you are doing. Making claims of being a CEO... It's all smoke... You want to be a CEO maybe... But just because you MAY employ someone at a business that may or may not exist does not even get you close to being a CEO. I mean you questioned me when I asked you to provide me with your federal tax number in order to wholesale you coins. That's coin biz 101.

I'm all for helping out whoever needs it... But Josh, my friend, I think you need a piece of humble pie.

CamaroDMD and Kasia like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That's news to me, Tim.

Seriously though, we've been through this all before and you're arguing the very same points that you've argued in the past. If you think coins are such a wonderful investment and that red book is absolute proof of it, why not jump in face first instead of trying to (again) convince us?

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Also, as mentioned previously, rare coins will continue to get rarer. A 1909-S VDB could get cleaned by someone who didn't know any better, someones house could burn down and they didn't keep them in a decent safe, etc.

As technology gets better and better, someday people will be able to make a counterfeit coin ( say 1909-SVDB) so perfectly that no device or person will be able to tell apart from a pedigreed one. Think that won't affect the market? or a 1974 Aluminum cent, or even a 1933 double eagle? So while relatively safe, it could also surprise.

6. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

"$15,000 is NOTHING from an "investment" standpoint "

Warren buffet only started with 9,000...

7. LostDutchman

Tim, 1909 S VDBs have been steadily declining in the market over the past several years. I feel that investment quality coins can't be had for less than high 4 figures or low 5 figures TO START.

rzage likes this.
  8. Detecto92

That's easy, buy non-ms grades. It's hard to counterfeit wear, darkening, scratches, etc.

9. Detecto92

Aren't there a few "sleepers"?

Consider how "cheap" one can buy the '28 peace dollar, only 360k minted, the mintage of the '09 S VDB is just a tad higher, yet worth tons more.

I also bet quite a few '28's were melted down during the silver spike of the 80's, by people who didn't know any better, and quite a few got improperly cleaned as well.

10. LostDutchman

That is another coin that has been getting cheaper over the last few years... 1928 peace dollars are definitely not sleepers. Problem free, low mintage half cents in VF or better... That's a sleeper for you...

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And if they're not, so what? Even those who are not playfully joking say what they do, not to be mean, but to try to help you. However, you would be wise to remember that everyone has a breaking point, and need to understand that one cannot simply demand respect and/or to be taken seriously; it must be earned, and failing to realize this seems to be a big part of the problem.

No, it does not get the point across and is a fine example of why some see/treat you as they do; the lack of coddling on cointalk is in no way comparable to racism. You're not the victim of injustice, unfairness, or anything else, Josh, so playing a victim does absolutely nothing to help your case or desire to be viewed differently. If anything, by now you should know that if people didn't care, they wouldn't bother giving advice and/or otherwise keep trying to help you, and perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that more often than not, instead of taking said advice to heart, it is simply dismissed in favor of believing whatever it is that you want to. We all have our places in life, Josh, so the sooner you start being Josh and stop trying to be something you're not, the respect you so desire will likely follow. Hollow claims impress no one.

This is why you're getting the unflattering Detecto comparisons... don't tell us of this incredible impact you're going to have, just do it and let your actions speak for themselves.

josh's coins likes this.
  12. Detecto92

Ya, forgot about that series.

According to numismedia the fair market value for an 1832 half cent in XF is only $120, and under 55,000 were minted, and I bet a few thousand of them are in the dirt or otherwise lost, cleaned, etc.

13. LostDutchman

The key there is problem free... It's not as easy as it sounds...

rzage likes this.
  14. 19Lyds

Read it again kid and don't forget the part about "$96,000 inflation adjustment":

"In 1950, at the age of 20, Buffett had made and saved $9,800 (over $96,000 inflation adjusted for the 2014 USD."

And...........like Aerosmith said: Dream on.

15. 19Lyds

Your "numismatic savvy" is showing through Tim.

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yawn. Wake me when you become as rich as Buffet.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Tim, your thread has been "detectoed" by Joshie. Sit back, relax and enjoy the spectacle from afar.

Rassi and Jwt708 like this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here I go, again, as it bears repeating. My grandfather, you see, taught me a long time ago, the secret to success in business is to treat every customer fairly and honestly, and be content with only a reasonable profit over your costs, say, 10%. Having stuck to that advice, I can sit here and proudly proclaim to you all, he was right, as I'm a huge success in business. And all I've been doing is taking a product that cost me $10, say, adding 10%, and selling it for $20.

LostDutchman likes this.
  19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

If it cost you $10 and you added 10%, wouldn't you be selling it for $11. Or did you study that 'New Math' that I've never been able to understand.

Rassi and rzage like this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

(I think that's the joke)

21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Detecto VICTORIA DEI GRA BRITT REGINA FID DEF

"there is no real long term performace data for rare coin investing"

The redbook has been published since 1947.

Consider all the investments you could of bought back then.
    I didn't say rare coins are a bad investment. They can be good or bad. Including throphy coins. The King of Siam set was pulled from the auction in the 80's because it couldn't even get the reserve.

I do believe *it's possible* to make money in coins, but, I believe performance data and those cute charts and graphs with the ever ascending lines are a joke. The prices are linked to a grade and grading standards change endlessly. What used to be EF40 20 years ago can be EF45 or AU50 today. Hey, isn't there a 1804 dollar sold as EF40 in the Garett sale that's in a PR-55 slab today?

If you want to see how much grading has changed, buy a copy of Brown & Dunn from ebay. It's so small you can carry it in your back pocket.

Draft saved Draft deleted