I'm back.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Detecto92, Aug 10, 2014.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I love the new verb...

spirityoda, geekpryde and bkozak33 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

LOL, I was just starting to think the same thing. I had often wondered what would happen if a Detecto and Josh thread came together...now I know.

Kasia, Jwt708 and bkozak33 like this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I was thinking a wormhole would open up, but I guess I was wrong...

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Give it some more time.

CamaroDMD and geekpryde like this.
  6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Josh / Detecto:

I admire your eagerness and enthusiasm. Young men should be eager and sure of themselves, and ready to conquer the world.

If you own even a single company, you are certainly more ambitious than I ever was, I applaud you for that. If you take risks and fail, and try again, I applaud you for that.

Some of the members here actually care about the new or young members, and are not simply trying to put you down or scare you away. Some of us are trying to impart a few life lessons and offer some practical advice. Do you need to take it, of course not. Should you consider it, absolutely! Are many of us wiser than you, definitely. You could own 10 companies, and make a ton of money, and there is still going to be people who are wiser than you. Better get used to it.

Just because some of us are playful and take a swing at you once and awhile, doesn't mean we aren't also trying to help you, or want you to leave CT. If you are going to be a businessman, you better get a thicker skin and be able to take a joke.

-Matt

p.s. And go read those darn investing books and stop pissing your money down the drain in fees.

rzage likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I find very old world coins exciting and holding there value. when I started coin collecting I was all over the place. now I long for older world coins 17th, 18th, 19th century world coins. the older the better. I will eventually want ancients yup I said it. Greek I think is where I want to begin ancients.

longnine009 and rzage like this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

and pleasant.

Hi, Ken

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Instead of worrying about retirement and managing a 'portfolio' it would perhaps be wiser to focus on obtaining that education. Figuring out what you'd like to go to school for as well as paying for it without relying heavily on student loan debt would be my number 1 issue if I was your age. Everything else would come after that in progression in fact it almost naturally does. Not that it's stupid to start planning early or making some investments but thinking about retirement when you haven't even obtained any sort of education or career yet seems a bit foolish at least in my opinion. I'd attempt to find a career field that will allow you to make some money also and not just obtain an expensive piece of paper to hang on your wall. Again nothing wrong with making some investments to grow your net worth but paying for school can get expensive fast and might be worth considering. Not sure how you intend to pay for school when you get to that point but it may come at the cost of cashing in all your investments to be able to do so debt free.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

While I completely agree that getting an education is the first thing to worry about...IMHO, sometimes you can't do it without taking out loans. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you are wise about it. I agree that it is wiser to worry about education now and investments later.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

What is truly commendable for Tim is that he spared us of all the agonies of having to sell off the whole collection, gosh, no eBay woes, no life's litanies of miserable sales etc.

And Tim I wish you the best for your plans.

Josh, you pale in comparison. Sorry, but we all know Tim - you can try and "Detecto" his thread, but fail you will.

Kasia, rzage and LostDutchman like this.
  12. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It's becoming mainstream now! I'm calling the Webster's people ASAP.

rzage and Jwt708 like this.
  13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Knowing our little Timmy only from his many posts here on CT, I'm pretty sure cashing in his investments will be but a mere drop in the bucket when it comes to paying for his continuing education.

The same could be said of his train fare.

harris498 and Morgandude11 like this.
  14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

DOC is absolutely right here. SHORT TERM gains are taxed as ordinary income, whereas long term capital gains are taxed at 10-15%, depending on tax bracket. Moreover, anybody who does not diversify is plain and simple, a fool. A fool and his money are easily parted.

CamaroDMD likes this.
  15. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that many of you are joking.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Tim, best of luck. Let us know what you are doing.

17. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

How true, my favorite is....

"We're all ignorant, only on different subjects."

JPeace$ and josh's coins like this.
  18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Perhaps invest in a dictionary.
    And an education.

"employee" should be employ.

an employee works for a person/company

rzage likes this.
  19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Detecto, IMO, there is no real long term performace data for rare coin investing. Prices are linked to grading And when it comes to grading standards, they're just making that crap up as they go along. If there are no constants there is no data.

Welcome back. You sure know how to pack the house. Maybe a publicity agent is your real calling?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  20. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

This needs to be a featured thread. A cointalk hall of famer has come out of retirement.

Rassi likes this.
  21. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

"there is no real long term performace data for rare coin investing"

The redbook has been published since 1947.

Consider all the investments you could of bought back then.

1. Silver and gold. The market fluctuates and flatlines. If you would of bought silver in 1980 when it peaked, and when it peaked a few years ago, you would of lost out.

2. Stocks and mutual funds. ETF's did not exist back then, entire companies have gone bankrupt. Stock market cycles as well and crashed in 1929, it could happen again (although not as bad, IMO).

Except for a few instances where hoards of some coin were discovered, there hasn't been a huge cycle in coin prices since the red book came out, as far as I know.

Every redbook published every 10 years (47,57, 67, 77, etc) has showed that for the majority of rare coins, the price 10 years ago was less than it was was concurrent decade.

Consider if we move into uber rare coins, such as the Eliasberg Specimen of the 1913 Buffalo Nickel.

It was sold for 1.48m back in 1996, in 2007, it was sold for FIVE million!

The Olsen specimen was sold for 3mil in 2004, and then for 3.7 mil in 2007, just six years later.

While these are coins that probably no one on this forum could afford, it does prove "every year, the price goes up".

Also, as mentioned previously, rare coins will continue to get rarer. A 1909-S VDB could get cleaned by someone who didn't know any better, someones house could burn down and they didn't keep them in a decent safe, etc.

While rare coins don't pay out dividends, nor do they realize as good of a return long term as etf/stocks/funds, I consider them to be a safe alternative investment.

I don't see the rare coin market crashing.

Draft saved Draft deleted