I'm a prepper as well, saving pennies.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinwoman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Kinda makes you wanna take another look at those cast pewter pieces they gave out at a Baltimore ANA show some years back, doesn't it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Kurt, as you know, I have you on ignore. But I was puzzled by the responses you are getting so I unignored you a while and reread the thread. I want to let you know that, despite our differences, you have my condolences for your loss. We may never see eye-to-eye on anything but some things are bigger than that.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

just reminds me that slingshots, although old technology, are still a formidable weapon.

Stork likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

Much appreciated, sir. I hope you also took a quick look at post #40 where I explain why "prepping" is nonsense to me in particular.

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I never really thought of it, but the beer would probably be worth more than the rest combined.

Stork and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

Laugh if you want, but in addition to whatever else it may be, the prepper mindset at least raises issues regarding schizophrenia, paranoid personality disorder, and persecutory delusion. To say it at least warrants some attention by mental health types is not a stretch.

That's far different from believing that having a wide variety of life skills is a good thing. We are, as a society, overspecialized.

8. mikenoodle

Kurt, It is not, however a diagnosis in and of itself. Some people like to be prepared, some expect the worst. Many of them are totally healthy in their minds.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

True enough, but when one adds a specific negative reaction to governments in particular, the spectre of paranoid personality disorder grows more serious.

10. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Yeah I have no problem with people preparing for the worst especially since I'm sure it helps many sleep at night. I do think many preppers have a delusional outlook on what will actually be valuable if what they fear becomes a reality but they still will sure as hell be better off than myself. All I'll have at that point is my rugged good looks.

11. mikenoodle

but I'm not a health care professional, nor do I play one on tv, so I let the doctors do the diagnosing.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

... and that just may be enough. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: As for me, my so-called "normalcy bias" is not just a choice, it's a requirement of my medical condition. I don't spend time considering choices that I might have had under different circumstances. I am living on now 8 years and 2 months of "borrowed time" already. If and when a societal breakdown happens, I'll be among the first to go, and I'm entirely okay with that. I'm over eight years into "house money" already. If what happened to me in 2009 had happened in 1999, I'd already be "worm food". There was no technology then to save me. I am just lucky to be within 12 miles of one of the finest brain injury acute care hospitals in the country.

Funny thing, though. My "old man", who died at 95, had a steadier walking gait up until 30 days of his death than I do now. That's how melanoma takes people.

13. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

I'm sure the technology to keep you from being worm food for a lot more time has significantly improved since 2009 as well. Pretty remarkable the advances we continually make where the difference in a decade is literally life and death for so many. Congrats on your "borrowed time" to this point, here's to much more of it!

14. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm burning pure 100% unadulterated American orneriness for quite a while now. Thanks.

15. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I think toilet paper would be a major commodity if things really went South. I remember some years back David Letterman made a joke on his show about a shortage of toilet paper so people immediately ran out and bought bunch of toilet paper creating a shortage....

16. V. Kurt Bellman

That's why my favorite stuff is the "Keep Calm and ..." signs.

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

When I'm in the woods, no leaf is safe.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Not even poison oak? Whoa, you d'man!

19. V. Kurt Bellman

While we're on the subject of prepping, where and when was the last time it would have been needed? Hurricane Katrina, 2005? And even then, what remained of civil authority was taking OUT the most prepped of the preppers, not helping them. And with all due respect to the Nawlins unique culture, for a huge chunk of what I saw there last year, I'm not all that sure that saving it was a net plus, Kirkuleez and Santinidollar excepted. The place is kinda the world's biggest non-movable freak show, and even circuses abandoned those long ago.

The best argument they've got is beignets.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Kurt , slow up on the coffee, and don't start something up that might not be good.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Ever been? Once was sufficient for me, except to change trains or planes. Every place I go just makes me long for the home culture more - rural Pennsylvania. Everything I could want is just close enough and just far enough away, all at the same time.

High end coins are cheap, plentiful, and mostly RAW. Global climate change is a GOOD thing here. Local foods are INCREASING in variety, quality, and especially YIELD. We've got 10 foot high corn fully silked and producing like mad. Iowa's looked sick last week. Coins are not subject to sales tax at all and the ANA is coming next summer to Philly and to Pittsburgh in 2020. State taxes are lower than IN ANY STATE IN THE REGION. What more could one ask?

Oh, and Penn State is the defending Big Ten football champions.

Draft saved Draft deleted