I'm a prepper as well, saving pennies.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinwoman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

My family has been prepping for years. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

My family and I have things to live for and to continue living for even if something were to happen.

" I'd rather die than have to survive"- this just doesnt seem right to me. And im one he says needs mental help.

Coinwoman and sakata like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I hate to burst your bubble, but copper cents are not worth more than their face value because of the copper content.

First of all, the copper cents are an alloy, not Grade A copper. If you take the time to call reclamation centers in your area, you will find that alloyed copper is only worth about 25% of the price quoted for Grade A copper. Therefore, Grade A copper would have to be selling for about $5.70 per pound just for you to be able to break even.

Chris

mikenoodle likes this.
  4. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

"

I don't have any friends. I guess I'll have to keep stacking and stocking.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's not worth the time to save cents at face value that won't appreciate.
    And in the future, when they get rid of cents, if you don't cash them in before the deadline, you will be stuck with 10 55 gallon drums of slag metal.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It won't surprise you that I disagree fully. And that's from a guy whose father died just last night. Some conditions are simply not worth living through. A financial apocalypse included.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Who could possibly think that saving money is relevant to surviving a societal collapse?

Food. Ammunition. Firearms. Tools. Books. Medicine. Save the stuff that's going to be important, that people will need to survive, if society collapses. That's what will be currency then. Who's gonna carry around the weight of precious metals?

And collect coins if you like coins.

mikenoodle and Evan8 like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

My sincere condolences Kurt. Jim

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mine as well.

10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

My condolences. I had no idea.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Also very sorry to hear this V. Kurt. 7 years here and it seems like yesterday.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm sorry for your loss.

Chris

13. Sorry for your loss. TC

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Kurt, I am sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family. I do not pray, but you will be in my thoughts.

I have considered you a friend for a long time and if there is anything I can do, you know how to reach me.

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I waited a bit before I wanted to weigh in. It wasn't easy to express succinctly, and therefore I ask for your forgiveness in advance, this post is likely my second longest of my tenure here, the longest being an actual article.

The problem with this discussion primarily is the different angles that everyone comes to it from.

While I agree that I can't understand the self-described "prepper" mentality, I don't expect to understand everyone in the world. I don't see them as having any adverse impact on society as a whole, and so in the words of my brother, "God bless", more power to ya. I think that a "be prepared" mentality would serve most everyone very well.

I say this only because it's impossible to understand my point of view unless you know where it comes from.

I don't see where silver and gold are going to automatically become the preferred method of exchange in a post-apocalyptic world. What about barter?

Guns and ammo will likely be more important than anything else, but if I were prepping, I'd look outside of the box and ditch the pennies. Because unless you can turn them into ammunition of some sort, they're taking up space and money that could probably be better placed elsewhere.

16. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I like the @mikenoodle and @SuperDave answers for practicalities.

There doesn't have to be a zombie apocalypse or WWIII to need a bit of preparation. A natural disaster works, and perhaps my perspective comes bit from living in Japan when the big earthquake/tsunami hit. How many people would do well even a week without? Not that we went without much (though I got a tad more concerned when the iodine tablets were passed out...), and not exactly the same situations...but it did make me think.

And, why not try and survive and thrive in an emergency?

For the OP question, I don't think there is anything WRONG with holding the copper pennies but what role are they playing? Actual money/trade or as a financial hedge/tool?

In a real badness type situation they are unlikely to be as useful. Ammo of differing calibers, toilet paper, tubes of hydrocortisone cream, bottles of motrin, feminine hygiene products, diapers, cigarettes, and my favorite--airline sized bottles of booze, would probably be the most useful for small bartering situations.

Longer term things like a generator, water, an x-number of days of food, entertainment (books??!!) well that is personal. Anyone should be able to go a week without power IMO. More than that, up to you. Oh, and COFFEE. And a way to make it!

Have a great set of local friends/social network. Know your neighbors and hopefully be friendly enough that you would all stick together. Great in an emergency, or in everyday life. What if my neighbor across the street fell down? Well, if I didn't see her for a day I'd know to knock on her door!

Anyway, IMO not too much call for silver and gold in the disaster sense. Now, as an investment/financial hedge sure! Keep it physical instead of paper, not a bad idea, tons of forums discussing it. This is where copper is the problem. Too hard to manage in quantities likely to make sense as a financial hedge, again, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Oh, hell, I forgot coffee. I'd rather die than live without coffee. :D

AJefferson, Kentucky and mikenoodle like this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Thank you, Jim. You're a stand up guy. Thank you all for your kind words. He was my first numismatic "teacher". He's the guy who bought all the books for an 8-year-old with a passion. And don't think it doesn't please me that much of Dad's holdings will some day be passed on to my son, and hopefully some day to his kid(s). We're that kind of family. Heritage matters to us.

Kentucky, davdo and furham like this.
  19. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Kurt, my condolences to you and your family as well!

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Coffee I can do without, but not covfefe.

Kentucky and Stork like this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

I guess how much of whatever follows a disaster one is willing to wade through is dependent on many things. How many others still depend on you? How is your general health? How existentially dependent are you on the availability of modern pharmaceuticals?

My answers are:
    None
    Pretty crappy
    Completely and utterly (without access to 8 prescription drugs, I'm dead in a week anyway.)

So yeah, I'm "all in" with our current modern society. It is what keeps me alive and I harbor no cowboy Old West fantasies. If this were even two DECADES ago, I would have died at 54.

So tell me, why would I want to be a prepper? They won't even SELL me "future stock" of several of my scrips.

But ... I still can shoot darned straight, and I may just decide my last quest is to take out as many idiots as I can, so don't come looking for me. :eek::Do_O

Kentucky, Sallent and afox like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted