I'm a prepper as well, saving pennies.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinwoman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Coinwoman

Coinwoman After you box 'em....?

Hi, I've recently started edited prepping. Hopefully it never happens, but prepping helps me feel like I have some control in an uncontrollable world.

I've been stockpiling pre 1982 pennies (1982 pennies too as they're mixed metals. I'll buy a gram scale soon) for their copper value. I know post 1982 pennies are copper plated zinc and I've been trading them back into the bank. Should I be hoarding them too? Would zinc ever be worth anything?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Go. Get. Mental. Health. Care. ... NOW! Don't walk, run.

*coins, Kentucky, Sallent and 4 others like this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Two hundred copper cents will buy you a loaf of bread. If everything collapses and the dollar goes to zero, the copper in those cents may hold its value. That means that those two hundred copper cents will still buy you a loaf of bread.

The question is, how many copper cents do you want to pile up and lug around? It's not like suddenly you'd be able to buy a loaf of bread with only ten of them.

BTW, even acronyms referring to "bad words" are forbidden here. You may want to edit your thread title and message before the mods have to do it.

5. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

I won't dismiss anyone wanting to try to make some money. But you have to look at the amount of effort vs. cost, vs. your final profit.
    I've seen wheatbacks selling for 3 cents each. So lets say during the 60's you put away $1,000 in wheat backs, put them in a closet and forgot about them. At the same time you put $1,000 in US Savings Bonds, a $1,000 in Cola-Cola stock and $1,000 in gold. Which do you think would be worth more today? I can sure tell you it wouldn't be those wheat backs.
    So unless you are prepared to wait for 30 or 40 years on your penny investment, I think you'd be better off to take those pennies and buy some high grade coins. Imagine if everytime you got $250 in your penny stash you bought a gold coin? I'm sure in 20 years - or even just 10 years, you'd be far better off. And is would take up less room as well.
    Now is you just love the feel of rolling around in a pile of pennies - but all means - keep the pennies.
    And if you are worried about the next zombie apocalypse, those pennies probably won't come in very handy anyway. Silver and gold - maybe, food and clothing - probably, guns and bullets - for sure.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

I swear the zombie apocalypse is already long underway, and the proof is right here on CoinTalk. SOMEBODY has to have eaten a significant chunk of MANY posters' brains, right? How else do you explain threads like this?

*coins, Sallent and green18 like this.
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Roll those coppers, cash them in and buy some old silver coins. Copper is way to bulky.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Except for the major problem that if the dollar goes to zero there won't be a loaf of bread to buy anywhere

*coins, -jeffB and Coinwoman like this.
  9. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

How much bread will high graded common date morgans get me? The luster is pretty nice on most if that matters.

Coinwoman likes this.
  10. Coinwoman

Gee thanks for the passive aggressive insult to a simple question. I value people's opinions and appreciate honesty. I think, however, it's a jerk move to insult someone's intelligence when they ask a question to garner information from people who also collect coins.
    I put this thread here because I value this forums information on coins. Period.

As to the others that answered, thank you for your responses. I buy gold and silver coins when I get the opportunity, and actively look for silver quarters, silver dimes (no luck so far, but won't find them unless I look), wheat pennies, etc.
    Apart from wanting to find wheat pennies, I penny search and save the copper pennies because they're cheap, are worth double(+) via they're copper value and it's fun for me.

I agree that I'd probably find a better return doing other things like bonds, or buying higher value coins, but in an economic collapse having lots of tradable coinage probably won't hurt. One doesn't exclude the other for me. I like going multiple routes to achieve my goals whenever possible.

I'm hoping and praying that a collapse doesn't happen. But I like being prepared ^.^

britannia40, bhh and Oldrdawg like this.
  11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Sorry, Coinwoman! I'm out of my usual ancients forum. Your post caught my eye under Recent Topics. I used to be like you. I stockpiled silver in preparation for WWIII. This was a long time ago when I lived in fear all the time. Anyway, I don't have the silver anymore I cashed it in. Today I stockpile good friends. Lots of good friends are going to be more valuable to me in the event of an apocalypse.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Im all for prepping but not with copper or silver unless your intent is to melt that down into bullets. Store food and water and guns. Money wont matter.

*coins, mikenoodle and Coinwoman like this.
  13. Coinwoman

Ty :) good friends are way more valuable but I can't stuff them into a 2x2 ^.^. J/k

I have good friends too, and an awesome husband. I'm blessed in many ways.
    I've been having a lot of anxiety about world events (not getting into politics, just referencing for background). Having this hobby helps me feel....grounded I guess.

And I figured zinc probably isn't/won't be worth anything, but I don't know much about it as a metal and figured coin peoples would.

Oldrdawg and Deacon Ray like this.
  14. Coinwoman

I store food and water too :) copper can be useful for pipes, electricity, heat sinks, potable water, backup pots and pans, etc. it may not be worth much, but it is extremely useful!

And silver bullets can kill those post apocalyptic werewolves ;)

mikenoodle, Oldrdawg and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Come visit us at the ancients forum. You should start a collection of ancient Roman coins. How about coins of the Holy Land? There are plenty of us who would be glad to help you get started. We know lots of absolutely reputable dealers in authentic ancient coins from all of the great civilizations. There's nothing like holding two thousand years of history in the palm of your hand.

*coins, Sallent and Coinwoman like this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

To me, the whole prepper mindset is just nutzoid. I'd rather die sooner than try to survive. I'm "all in" with modern economics and I sleep VERY well

*coins, Kentucky and Sallent like this.
  17. John T.

John T. Active Member

Hey coin woman, I save all of mine too. I also have a case of Ravioli, chicken noodle, 2 cases of water, lots of beer, etc.

*coins, Coinwoman and green18 like this.
  18. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Easy to say when death doesnt seem imminent. Doesnt sound like you have much worth living for. Then again everything might seem fine when you have the government "looking out" for you. You say people here are mental, but you might be suffering from a form of government induced stockholm syndrome.

19. John T.

John T. Active Member

Evan8, I was a boy scout. Always be prepared. I'm was also a Marine and we usually prepared for anything.

Coinwoman likes this.
  20. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

Sorry if you felt my comment insulting. It wasn't intended to be. When the switch went from copper to zine I bought a couple of bags of 1981 pennies. I figured I put my kid (who was 3 at the time) through college with them some day. Well that didn't happen. A couple of years back I finally got tire of the bags taking up space and traded them in for silver eagles. The guy I traded them to thought he got a good deal and I thought I got a good deal - were were both happy. But for when the stuff hits the fan, I think silver is a better bet. Of course pennies can also just be a lot of fun. But don't forget to keep a lookout for some of those recent double die pennies. Just finding one of those could make all your efforts really pay off.

21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Amen to that! :angelic:

Sundance79 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted