I'm a Power Seller - NOT

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by satootoko, Mar 22, 2007.

1. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Another new phishing scheme to collect information (Only one misspelled word and one grammatical error. These guys are getting better and better. :p :
    The last of my three EBay sales resulted in positive feedback posted on 9/27/03. :whistle:

Oh yeah - did I mention that the reply link doesn't go to an EBay site? :headbang:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Roy,these scammers are plunging to extremely low depths to try & gather information.There are some gullible people out there,but I am not one of them.These idiots need to be exposed & have their scams torpedoed in the process.

Aidan.

4. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Reminds me of e-mails I got lettling me know my bank accounts may have been compromised, and they need certain information to "verify" the security of my accounts...

Even if I was that gullible, lol, the fact that they were banks I never had an account with, like First Bank of Tennessee (never even been to that state, much less opened an account there!), would have tipped me off. And I've never given my e-mail address to any bank I've had an account with, so how would they know to contact me this way?

Ever get contacted by someone claiminng to be from your bank and that there's some problem with your account, let them know you'll physically visit one of the branches and discuss the problem in person. Else you have no idea who you're really talking to.

5. line_grade

line_grade Member

This is becoming more and more of a problem. Along with scammers hawking the bidders on certain items and letting you know that have the same item for sale and would like to know if you're interested in purchasing it. I've gone through the security system e-bay has set up for fake e-mails and offers and such and continue to get these generic responses from them concerning the outcome of the "investigation". They always state they will not give out the "particulars" but they are handling it.

It seems that the more active I am with selling or buying, these scams increase. Ya, I've gotten the same "power seller" offer a few times. I'm becoming afraid to respond to ANY

6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I delete all unsolicited e-mails not from friends and family, it saves a lot of time

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Roy:
    Why did you ever even click on the link?
    Scary stuff.

8. lwrncwg

lwrncwg New Member

I forward anything from eBay or PayPal that looks suspicious to either spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com and let them deal with it. After that I delete the e-mail and forget about it.:D

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I right clicked, then clicked "Properties", and saw the true URL of the link. No way in the world that I would ever click such a link. [​IMG]

10. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I love the phone calls and emails "Congrats, you are qualified to win something or other (can't remember what) and all we need is your credit card number to completely enter) http://forums.collectors.com/i/expressions/nervous breakdown.gif
    Good thinking right clicking on properties. Where does the site lead? Probably someplace where once you click on it you get hacked into or get a virus. Oh, and congrats on being a power seller silver lol. ;)

Phoenix :cool:

11. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

That one came in while I was on vacation last year and it almost got me as I wasn't as diligent as I should have been.

Just to be sure that it didn't, I changed my password three times in the next 36 hours.

I used to report these to eBay and Paypal, but I figure they're extracting enough revenue from sellers that they can afford to do their own research.

12. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!

I now know what to do when I receive one of those emails.... hit the delete button.

- Jake

Draft saved Draft deleted