I'll take it, flan crack and all!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, May 28, 2020.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Thank you, and @dougsmit, for the addition of "Wabi Sabi" to my vocabulary. :)

And yeah- crack and all, that one has some appeal.

Roman Collector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

If I get it correctly, here's a Wabi Sabi cin (new word to me either)

The slight off centering of the reverse (which isn't usually what we look for) gives to a whole a dynamic : the horse and rider look like they are going to jump out of the flan. I really think its adds to the attractiveness of this denarius

[​IMG]
    L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi, Denarius - Rome mint, 90 BC
    Laureate head of Apollo right, Δ below chin
    Naked horseman galloping right, holding whip; above swan. L.PISO.FRUGI / ROMA at exergue
    3,93 gr - 18,8 mm
    Ref : RCV # 235, RSC # 12b, RRC # 340/1-Calpurnia 12b-symbol 166
    Ex. Naville Numismatics

Q

Edessa, Bing, lordmarcovan and 3 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Now this is a kind of coin repair I could accept. Rather than trying to fool people into thinking that a coin was something it was not, adding gold as a repair would be actually making the coin something it could never be.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Another cool concept, and name. I didn't realize there was a word for it. My late stepfather, an architect and builder, was a true renaissance man gifted in the art of stained glass, among many other crafts.

When one window in a home he was building got broken while being installed, he cut out little odd shaped pieces of colored glass to replace the broken shards, and patched up the broken window with lead came, creating an abstract and artistic stained glass window in the process. All based on the random crack pattern. It really was quite wonderful.

Draft saved Draft deleted