I'll be running a small software update in a bit

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Peter T Davis, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

A few nifty new features coming up. Might be a bit of downtime.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

10-4

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Look forward to seeing whats new.:cool:

5. Peter T Davis

A lot of it is behind the scenes stuff, but I think you guys will have fun with the tagging function.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I just updated my mac to 10.9 and it too was under the hood.

7. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

You're it!

Kasia likes this.
  8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I realize a lot on this forum changed while I was abroad this past summer and didn't come on here but it would be very helpful if the ability for an individual to edit their posts for up to 24 hours was made available again. Sometimes grammar and typos need correcting, sentence structure and formatting could be improved or information needs to be amended or added to a post. Now it seems like an individual can edit their posts for only a matter of minutes after making it and that is far from beneficial.

Thanks,
    nos

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I just edited a post and added information to one which was two days old. I have not had that problem. Have you looked at the feature "More Options" as an alternative as well?

10. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

This is quite interesting to read. Not too long ago a fellow poster told me they could not edit a post minutes after making it and I noticed the edit button disappeared shortly after the last time I made a post on here, which was September 13th. Perhaps things have changed for the better since then. I will be sure to check out these additional options soon.

Edit: The ability to edit my above post has disappeared. I don't know when it went away exactly but I made the post a mere four hours ago.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

With this new software the edit function was set at 60 minutes. That means that nobody, except the mods, should be able to edit anything 61 minutes after they post it.

That said, there also seem to be some permission glitches that have been affecting a very small number of members. Meaning some folks have been able to do things they should have not been able to do.

Peter has been working to solve those issues ever since we started using this new software. But every so often a new glitch pops up or it comes to our attention that a different member can do something he is not supposed to be able to do.

Just as with any software there are always bugs, glitches. And it takes time for them to show up and to work them out. We've been using this software for 3 months now. And with every change or update you make, new ones come along. That's the nature of software.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm showing my age. What is tagging?

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

devil.gif

14. GDJMSP

You're not the only one green.

15. GDJMSP

Hmmmm - always thought it was when gang bangers and/or vandals run around with cans of spray paint painting everything in sight.

But yeah, makes two of us. Ignorance is bliss aint it Larry :D

16. Peter T Davis

it is something like that. lol

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not sure if its active but I believe when you type @ then a name without the space, say my name @ then mat then I am notified when I am mentioned.

Its kinda like twitter.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nah, like a dog that's called marking your territory...........

19. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

Now THAT creates a mental image. LOL

20. GDJMSP

Hmmmm - if that's what it is that function has been active for quite a while now, seems like a 4 to 6 weeks at least. Maybe longer.

21. Peter T Davis

If anyone is having trouble with the reply/post editor, go to this page:
    http://www.cointalk.com/account/preferences
    and un-click the "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages" box.

That will get it working so you can post while I figure out why the new editor is giving problems to some of us.

non_cents likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.