I'll ask again, bicentennial quarter's on ebay bringing 2x face???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rte, May 5, 2018.

1. rte

rte Well-Known Member

WHY the heck are people paying a premium for these?

EBay 362306186909

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, I cannot get the link to work. My phone thinks it is a phone number... And they call this thing a smart phone. Ha!..... Anyway, assuming from your title it seems folks are paying premiums for common bicentennial quarters. On the face of it, yes it seems silly. I know I still see them almost daily in circulation...... On the other hand. The romantic side of me wants to say, “It’s about time!”... for me anyway our nations bicentennial offerings had a lot to do with fueling my love of numismatics. While these pieces were minted in the gazillions it was exciting to see at a time when we didn’t have new designs on our pocket change every few months. And the bicentennial designs were strikingly appealing at the time (to me anyway). I would like to see them appreciated numismatically. However the underlying truth is that EBay buyers seem to have more money than good sense often times and I rather suspect that is what’s taking place.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

2x is hardly any real premium

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

After shipping seller loses 22 cents! :woot:

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

7. baseball21

I really dislike when people trash active auctions just before the end for no reason. Wonder if hes the current high bidder

Beefer518 likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Are you the seller, then? ;)

9. baseball21

I'd have much stronger words if I was. :p That's not me but I can sympathize

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm pretty confident that there isn't anybody here who would have been bidding on that lot, but was dissuaded by this thread. If anything, posting to make fun of an auction that's about to close is less offensive than posting about a new one, because there's less time for potential bidders to happen across the discussion thread and change their minds.

We'll see if I change my mind when it's one of my auctions being pilloried...

11. baseball21

That's why I hate it. I think if it was me on the receiving end for no reason how would I feel.

I also am aware that there are people who trash things to try and keep the price down to get it cheaper

12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Sorry to lessen your chances to buy a quarter for a half dollar. :rolleyes:

I won a delinquent safety deposit box auction 2 years ago that had $1200 in assorted quarters @ face value.
    I sold off half of the premium rolls and collector stuff for a good ROI.
    There was a bag with 4000+ bicentennial quarters in really good shape.
    I did a google search to see if they were worth any more then face value and Didn't find anyone that was looking for them then.
    I ended up putting them Back into circulation.

13. rte

rte Well-Known Member

$10 a roll x 4.... $80+ bid.
    - $6.50 flat rate box.
    Math???

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was making the "selling 1 coin at a time for 50 cents" math.

JPeace$ and baseball21 like this.
  15. baseball21

Not sure how that was hard to work backwards from to figure out

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

That'll teach me for trying to make a lame comment!

17. Michael K

3 hours have gone by, there's 28 minutes left and there hasn't been 1 more bid.
    Personally, I have no use for 4 rolls of these as they are only worth face to me.
    I frequently find these metal detecting, I don't think the condition of these in the auction warrants any kind of premium.

18. baseball21

I'd never pay a premium for your environmentally damaged ones either, where did you see those were ground dug?

19. Michael K

Many of the coins I get I don't dig up out of the ground. I just brush away some wood chips. Sometimes they are in the ground.
    I was talking about the fact that I find these 1976's all the time.
    And the ones in the auction while AU/ or even MS don't do anything for me.

20. baseball21

So you determine the value of everything? Also glad you can grade those without seeing every coin.

This is the nonsense that I have been hoping coin forums would grow out of but they haven't so I'll just start calling it out.

What a horrible war crime someone spent 50 cents on quarters they wanted.

I swear some people just want to suck all the fun out of collecting for others.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  21. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted