IKE's being pulled?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jason1367, Jan 8, 2015.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

It was my understanding that demand for the dollar coins is so low that the new ones aren't released for circulation unless you purchase them directly from the mint. You'd be paying that premium Rocky, but I think that's the only way.

I am kinda surprised to hear you can still get Ike's though...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

first the US mint does not distribute directly to banks. they sell to the Federal Reserve (which is NOT a government agency but a private bank) who then sends the coin to their central hubs. (ours in southern CA is in Los Angeles)
    Next, banks do not always get coin from the Fed Reserve. They use contractors like Brinks and Gardia and the like, who transport coin (and currency) for them. These contractors collect and redistribute a lot of coin. When they need more they get it from the Federal Reserve.
    OK so, about pres. dollars. The mint stopped making them for circulation after 2011. In 2012 and since they only make Pres dollars for collectors. You can get rolls or sets of 2012 through current from the US Mint directly from the web site.
    For years 2007 through 2011 most banks do not want to have them in stock because most folks don't like them and don't want them. But you can ask your bank to order them for you. Probably their transportation contractor will not have them so your bank will have to order them from the Federal Reserve and the contractor will pick them up and deliver them to your branch. Not all banks want to fuss with it so it helps to make friends with the head teller or who ever in your branch does the coin order each week. It also helps if you have the cash you will need for the coin, on deposit in your account at that branch.
    Pres dollar coin usually come in a $1,000 box and they will have to order at least that as a minimum, some require higher minimums (my bank requires $2,000 minimum). Also note, you will not get only Pres Dollars but a random mix of Pres, Native Am, and Susan B dollars. All the small dollars. Also you will not get new uncirculated rolls unless by rare chance of luck. You will almost certainly get circulated mixed. The good news is that in a box of $1000 you will find a fair amount of coin that will grade as unc. and a lot of AU, because the small dollar has not been popular and so has not been in circulation much.
    hope that helps
    and welcome to CT, where our advice is worth ... well we will let you grade that coin. : )

Rocky Raven likes this.
  4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you can order boxes of coins from bank at face value, just hafta ask them...

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

While cleaning up the pig pen I play in, I found copies of the form which I had downloaded off the NGC forums. This is the form I presented to my bank with me specifically showing the vault teller that Eisenhower Dollars "could" still be ordered.

Federal Reserve System Coin Order Form.jpg

Feel free to download the form and use it at your bank. However, be prepared to cough up any costs which they might throw in your direction for ordering these!
    Depending upon your location, getting a bag just "might" cover those costs.

You're welcome and my apologies for being such a pig.

6. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

Kudos for not ending a sentence with a preposition!

mlov43 likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

My latest bag-a-Ike's coughed up:

1953 Panama Balboa
    1896 Morgan Dollar
    1924 Peace Dollar
    1971-S Counterfeit IKE Dollar
    1971-D"Hand Engraved" (Dec 17, 1972 Shelly Jean Harris-Fulton KY) IKE Dollar
    2013-D Perry's Victory Quarter
    1972-D Silver Plated IKE Dollar
    1974 Gold Plated (and partially stripped) IKE Dollar
    1978-S Proof IKE Dollar

I'll order more in a week or so.

jlogan likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

How much does a "bag" cost you?

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I tried taking your form to my wells Fargo last year lee with no luck :(

10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

@19Lyds does the form work only if you live near a main branch of the FRB?

11. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I've gotten them in $500 and $1000 bags, usually it's $1000

Draft saved Draft deleted