IKE's being pulled?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jason1367, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Tried to buy an In-n-Out burger the other day using Ikes. Held up the drive-thru as they tried to figure out what they were worth.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I also have not been able to get bags of Iks at my bank. The last I was able to get was about 3 months ago. My last request came back as small dollars instead, none were available at my coin consolidator (the guys that pick them up and handle them for the banks by the pallet full. One teller told me there was a waiting list but that was not confirmed by the head of my branch or the head teller at another bank.

It is very possible that there is just a lack of them in the supply chain. I think if they have them they will release them, but I don't have any real facts to support that, it is just speculation.

On a personal collection note, I have 3 sets all au 58 or better (only 2 have the 1972 v2), along with a few extra of exceptional business strike and Bi-cent'l varieties. and of course you can always get them in mint sets and proof sets.

I suppose there are also a fair number out of circulation for those folks who collect old slot machines and want some real coin for their old dollar machines. I know one fellow who has one and he has about $250 worth just for fun.

4. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Don't know, but I've asked all the banks I deal with (3) to save the Ikes for me when they come in because I will usually take all the $2.00 they have in the till. They kind of hate twos.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It is totally possible that the fella in the other thread has depleted the inventory of IKE's that the supplier for his bank had available.

The Federal Depository is certainly NOT his banks provider and there are millions of these in those depositories across the country.

It is possible that there is a "minimum" order amount to get them out of the depository which most suppliers are simply not willing to order for "random" local customers.

Kapimono and krispy like this.
  6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

So, the CIA is involved? Interesting.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

What year are you in?

coleguy likes this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I wrote on the other thread something to ponder. I know not if they are being hoarded by the feds, but they are treasury issued and not Federal Reserve, then again so are the billion gold dollars they have in storage...

9. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I did the same thing with $2 bills at dunkin donuts. They were all the money I had at the moment. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a regular there, I would have walked out of there empty handed lol

Kapimono and bdunnse like this.
  10. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The FED is charged with ordering and distributing coinage. They also store almost all of it since the mint usually only has new production not yet issued to the FED. The FED no longer does most of the work involved in physically moving, handling, and issuing any coins at all and all this work is contracted out to companies like Brinks, Purolator, etc. They are under contract to keep the banks supplied with whatever the banks order and returning defective coin to the mint.

11. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

some of the golden dollars are issued through the Fed, a few times I've gotten $2,000 bags labeled "Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Missouri"

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I guess I never thought the fed would.still have stocks of a 35+ year coin to begin with, let alone find someone surprised they no longer did. Why would they even do such a thing? It was a failure then let alone now.

13. Excuse_Me

Excuse_Me Active Member

BEANIE BABY HYPE :smuggrin:

OldGoldGuy likes this.
  14. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Why would the US government melt down, and thereby destroy, wipe out, many millions of dollars in order to recover a few cents worth of cupro-nickel, literally a few pennies on the dollar?

15. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

Rick Tomasaka has his own sticker for Ike's. It's a deep cameo sticker that looks like a silhouette of Ben Franklin. That will make about 6 stickers on your average coin in a holder.

16. I say this story is bunk!

17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I used to exchange $1 bills for Ike's at the bank when I was a kid I always thought the big coins were cool and was as close as I could get to a real silver dollar. Used to like $2 bills but NOBODY in southern maine wants to be seen with them. They give them out as change at the strip club so anytime someone's got a $2 they get smart ass comments about where they been

18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

My local credit union hasn't been able to order them for me for almost ten years. They just receive them from people who bring them in. With that said I ask for them every time I go in and haven't been able to get any for about six months now. I think they are just popular as they have mentioned several people have asked for them.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've ordered and received 2 bags since this thread was posted.

Kasia likes this.
  20. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I sure wish I knew how you do it. I have tried many times.

21. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

my bank still says they can't order them anymore, but i did manage to get about 95 loose ones

Draft saved Draft deleted