Ikes, and a quick eBay facepalm

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by -jeffB, Nov 20, 2021.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I popped over to eBay to see what common clad Ikes are going for these days -- I've got five or six rolls that I'm not attached to.

First, I'm amazed to see rolls of 20 actually selling for $40. I figured the premium would still be a lot lower than that -- and it is lower for lots the size of mine, unfortunately. I guess a lot of people want Ikes, but not a lot of them.

Second, one of the most recently closed listings was this one:

1972 Rolled Edge Error Eisenhower Ike Dollar

$150 for a dryer coin. Heck, at that price, I could buy a brand-new top-of-the-line washer and dryer, and pay it off after running just one of my rolls through the old one! All I need is the "appraiser" to verify that "the edge was rolled during production".

gronnh20 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I think it looks like a "spooned" coin ??o_O

-jeffB, KBBPLL and Inspector43 like this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A better measure of the price of things is not what people are asking, but rather by looking at completed sales and seeing what is actually selling and for how much.

I have literally about 1500 Ikes that I have accumulated from banks, credit unions etc. I got 7 of them just yesterday from a credit union.

5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

The "appraiser" needs to be whacked with a spoon.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There (was) someone in Numismatic News selling them for $28.00 a roll circulated. They did have a top out on the shipping that seemed reasonable. Can't locate it at the moment.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This was a completed sale. Believe it or not.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

BU rolls are wholesaling for $70 to $80 right now.

You can find wholesale buyers at $2 for circs but they only want nice XF and better.

9. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

The price of ikes is climbing. I have been filling a plastic tote up with certain ikes i buy. Over the past 2 years the prices i was paying for what I was buying has in some cases doubled. You should try looking around and see what these are starting to go for. Some ikes are bringing decent money. It is hard to find nice high grade ikes for a lot of the years/ issues. And when they come up they can sell for lots.

Draft saved Draft deleted