Ike vs. Presidents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lonegunlawyer, Dec 3, 2012.

?

Eisenhower Dollars or Presidential Dollars?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2012.
  1. Eisenhower Dollars

37 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. Presidential Dollars

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Whoah, say you did not sell that one pictured above!?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I have had it for sale for almost a year. I just started a 20% off sale and I guess someone was watching and waiting cause it went pretty quick. Lost about $100 but I knew I overpaid when I bought it in 2008.

4. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

Wow! Shut out so far. I don't like Ikes too much but they're better than the Presidentials.

5. lonegunlawyer

If I may ask, what did it go for?

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It sold for $600. Gotta pay the mortgage ya know. No worries, I still have this beauty left that I bought for $31 a decade ago.

[​IMG]

The fields of the coin look like space which is very convenient given the design. The coin looks absolutely amazing in hand.

7. lonegunlawyer

Hey, with that kind of cash in pocket and a nice coin still in the collection, that is a great feeling!

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

For me, there's simply no choosing as I collect both.

Common as dirt.

Anybody see the Costner movie WaterWorld where dirt wasn't so common?

If enough folks diss the Presidential Dollars, which will come out of hiding when the dollar bill gets shown the door, what is common today may not be so common tomorrow. As it sits right now, the Washington and Adams Dollars are really, really difficult to find which would grade MS67. Some of the others are very difficult as well.
    Some, are fairly easy such as the Jefferson and Monroe where MS68's are possible.

IKE's, on the other hand, are just difficult to find which would grade MS67 for the CnClad coins. Silver Business Strikes are a bit easier with MS68 being the money winner and MS69 being the Jackpot coins.

I like em both. However, I think that a noce circulated Presidential Dollar also has a certain appeal to it.

Sorry. I still giddy over my Inverted MM 1968 Kennedy.

9. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

I'm the only Pres Dollar :rollling:

I have both, don't actively collect either, but might go through some Pres dollar rolls looking for edge lettering errors soon.
    I bought the Pres Dollar proof sets I needed and will just keep buying the big set that includes them.
    I do like the Ike the design with so much negative space.
    Pres Dollars are really fun for historical value, they are like a big version of the Shell Station token that they used to have.

Oh well back to morgans and mercury dimes :)

10. Ike dollars get my vote...not even close. I like the size, the chance for silver, the varieties, the nostalia of my youth, etc. This is like a TMZ "Who'd you rather" poll between the queen and Kate Middleton. No contest. :devil: TC

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Voted Presidential dollars. More variety and it finally gives a chance for some the least memorable leaders to get some recognition - if they deserved it or not.

12. lonegunlawyer

JW gives up the sympathy vote. Niiiiiiiice!

13. Somers72

Somers72 New Member

Neither of these two types of coins will ever attain any real value. Morgan and Peace Dollars are hot so that is what you should collect in Mint State with attention paid to key dates/mint marks. Plus they are composed of 90% silver that is a precious metal.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

My collection is based around coins I'm interested. I've got a thread here dedicated to the silly, worthless challenge coins I've accumulated - and intend on actively collecting for the next six years for sure but likely eleven total.

15. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

Ike dollars. I love dem big hunka junks.

16. lonegunlawyer

Hey, now, challenge coins are cool. I wish I had had an opportunity to earn some and not come by any second hand. :)

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well now - I'm going to ignore that part. Lots of times units/bases will make one and sell them as fund raisers for activities, etc. I now plan on buying those. I know it's not traditional but they sure do brighten up the coin box and I'm not afraid to touch them!

18. lonegunlawyer

OK, I did not know that. I want to start collecting them because I find them interesting.

19. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Well, at least you get a verity with the other presidents.

20. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Most Ikes are very difficult to obtain in MS66 or higher, and some rare varieties go for very large sums. They absolutely have real value.

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I agree with you Lee. I like certain aspects of both series as they have some real challenges that people wouldn't attribute to modern coins.

Ikes are finally getting the respect that they deserve and prices on nice Ikes are almost sure to rise substantially in the near future.

The Presidential series may suffer from the same disinterest from the collecting public but I think that the numbers minted will almost assure that high grade examples will be found.

The problem that I believe to be the biggest challenge with any of the golden dollar coins is the alloy and the color of pristine coins vs. circulated ones. I recently wrote about how I think that PCGS and NGC should start adding a color designation to GD coins like they do with copper. Something like PF-70GD or MS-67 BN.

Super high-end coins common as dirt? Maybe we should re-think that one before we dismiss either of these series

Draft saved Draft deleted