Ike type identification check

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by softmentor, Mar 2, 2024.

1. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I have been working through a bunch of Eisenhower dollars and I would like to get some help. There are several type variants and I would like help checking my work identifying which variants are what. I heard there is a grading service that can do this for about $5 per coin. Since Ike's are pretty low value I can't see spending more than that and even $5 is a stretch. Is there someone here on coin talk that could double check my work? if not where can I find a cheap grading service to verify my type identification?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Maybe if you do this someone eventually here definitely will be able to help out.
    gotpics.gif gotpics.gif gotpics.gif

4. softmentor

I can do that. It will take me a while but I can do that.

5. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Question for you. What resources do you use for distinguishing the Ike types?

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Sure. Use this set up and substitute the books with a Jar or can if you wish.
    Coin_Pictures_101.png

Dynoking likes this.
  8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Just post the dang pictures and we'll tell you what it is. Don't give a crap about your camera, etc.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You will not get correct answers without images.

10. softmentor

ok I took a picture but when I try to enter it here all I get is a request for a URL. I can't upload. How do I get the picture where y'all can see it?

11. softmentor

IMG_1278.jpg
    will this work?

12. softmentor

that is the closesest I can get this is for 1971-D Eisenhower. Type I or II ??

13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

This is the preferred format for posting pics. I am assuming this is 1971-D (not S). What's the black line across the eagle's wing?

This is a 1971-D Copper-Nickel Clad, Variety 1. IMHO. Nothing matches the variety 2 (or friendly eagle) variety.

IMG_1278.jpg

https://www.ikegroup.info

Unfortunately there are different sources that assign the label "variety 2" to the friendly eagle and some that assign the label "variety 1" to it. The Red Book assigns variety 2 (Type 2) to the friendly eagle variety. I go by that book as well as the Ike Group website.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  14. softmentor

red book and a couple of online sources.
    awesome. thank you. the black line "scratch" is an errant mouse drag in my graphics program. Not part of the coin. OK I have a few more, about 7 or 8. Thought I'd make sure the pic would work before fussing with pics. I'll need daylight so I'll get those tomorrow. Thanks again! Thanks also to SensibleSal66 for the set up tip. Simple and it works. Coin Talk folks rock! (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ike-type-identification-check.411154/#post-25249830)

ldhair and CoinCorgi like this.
  15. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted