Ike rolls... Lots of Ike rolls.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by downlow, Mar 13, 2012.

1. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

Just got $200 in customer wrapped Eisenhower dollars.
    Checked 1 roll in the parking lot as I was leaving the bank (as I'm sure you have before) and it was a beautifully toned 78P, and another and another...
    :pacing:
    Now I have to wait till tonight to crack open the rest!

Hope there's some goodies in there.

Update later with pics and info if necessary.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Nice! Look out for some 72 Type 2's and silvers! Bank find?

4. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Wow! Very nice find!!!! I thought I was lucky to find $30!

5. downlow

I've never gotten Eisenhowers, only halves usually.
    And not used to searching them. I've no real cherry picker guide for them either.
    Any links, info etc would be greatly appreciated.

6. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

I keep all Ikes!

7. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

http://www.ikegroup.info is a good Ike site.
    Once I was at a bank getting halves and a guy came in and cashed in about $600 in Ikes. I bought $250ish, which was all the money I had left. No keepers in the lot.

10. Urban_Lawyer

Urban_Lawyer Half dollar nerd

One of these days I will find a bank that actually has Ikes... and likely that will be the day I only have $3 on me.

11. ChesterCoperPot

ChesterCoperPot Junior Member

Check the TCFs if you have any close by you. That's where I've had my luck. I pretty much only dump there, but I know their coin counters don't accept the big dollars so when people turn them in they turn them into the tellers there. And actually I've gotten a few free as they jammed up the machine because someone before me didn't read the sign that said Ike dollars cannot go thru this machine.

12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

How much is a 1972 Type II Ike worth in decent condition? Any other Ike varieties to look for as well not including the already mentioned 1976 Type II? A few months ago I was at a bank and I could see maybe like a dozen Ike dollars behind a tellers counter. I checked the edges for any silver but I saw they were all clad so I didn't bother to try and buy them. I will keep a lookout for them for now on.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

The beat up circulated pieces still go for $15-20 and they sell all day long for that. They're not scarce by any means, but it will be a nice cherrypick once you get one. And I would say the OP would probably have at least one in his lot.

14. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

AU's go for $50ish at a minimum. MS coins usually will fetch $100 on the lower end (61, 62) and on the higher end (65,66) you're looking at moon numbers... 4 and 5 digits.

15. Cool find. Be sure to check for 1971 D FEV (Friendly Eagle Variety). The Ike Group site has good pics. This variety was just listed in the new Cherrypicker's Guide and major TPGs will now likely start designating it. It has been overlooked by many and could bring a premium. Enjoy! TC

16. cdwest

cdwest Member

Ive noticed here in Vegas that people are dumping their IKEs. Been to two banks now in the last two months to find about $250 in dumped IKES.

17. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Did you grab any on your visits?

18. downlow

Ok, I got through all of them last night.
    No type 2's :(

However these must have been in a protected place for a long time.
    I basically got 3 full sets (withstanding the 73, 74 of course) in very high grades.
    Got 71, 72, 75/76, 77 and 78 in both P & D in I'd estimate MS 64 and possibly a MS 66 for 72' which is great in my opinion.
    The 77' and 78' are absolutely stunning and look as if they just came out of early state dies.
    Although 1 has a great die break and 1 has a struck through error both in MS 65 or so.

Toning is pertie!!!

19. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Let's see a pic of this supposed MS66 '72. If it's a T1 or T2, you're talking about a 5 digit coin... even a T3 in MS66 breaks $1k.

Gut feeling is you're solidly overgrading.

20. cdwest

cdwest Member

I did grab about 20 of them just need two of the variety coins to finish the circulated set.

21. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Before I knew that IKES were anything other than a good thing to give to kids, as tips and bury in the sand for pirate themed parties, I had accquired about 600 of them. I had one roll of coins that were high MS from a find similar to the one the OP is describing - they were clearly a turn in a collection. I still wish I had them to know exactly how good they were - you never know.

I tend to agree with you though

Draft saved Draft deleted