IHD $2.50 coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by John Skelton, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

In a post Saturday he said his friend inherited a collection from his grandmother,a longtime collector.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yes, that's true. He has no idea where or how his grandmother came to own it. Just like my father-in-law somehow came to own those Morgan and Peace dollars he had, when he was born in 1923.

Okay, I'll take it out of the 2x2 and repost it.

Heavymetal likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Ah, OK, thanks!

5. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

It would still be advisable to have the coin certified by one of the top 3 companies. Not only would that tell you that the coin is real it would be graded and therefore easier to put a value on the coin for insurance purpose , selling or just for knowing what it is worth. @Michael K gave good advice to send it in and get it slabbed by one of the grading companies. This will remove all doubt. New photos will help the members here give you a move definitive answer to your question. Nobody can say for sure, if the coin is authentic or not, until better photos are provided. I suggest that you get yourself a guide book, and do a lot of internet research on the coins in the Grandmother's collection. Being that the Grandmother had the coin it is most likely been saved for a long time , and leans towards being real. Thank you for your questions, and sharing the coins with the members on Coin Talk . Dillan

6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, my friend sent me pics of the coin he shot himself. Check it out. Jimmycoin1.JPG
    jimmycoin2.JPG

Spark1951 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  7. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

The photos are much better, now we will have to wait until the people or members with the knowledge in this area give you some feedback on the coin. It looks really nice , I hope for your friend, and yourself, that it is the real deal . thanks for posting the updated photos. Dillan

MikeinWyo likes this.
  8. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

9. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Definitely looks real to me, there are no major “red flags”..... I would say EF45. Standing by for Physics-Fan to chime in as well.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Hard to tell with gold. I don't know how long they have been faking these, but if Grandma had this 75 years ago why wouldn't it be real?
    It may be a "common" date as mentioned before, but the mintage is still only 532,000. It looks good. But, if you don't want to spend the $ to get it slabbed, you could just take it to a coin dealer and he might be able to tell you if it is good or bad. If you go to a gold place, they have to scratch it, so some people will not damage their coin that way. But in order to test authenticity, that's how they do it.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

12. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I do plan to take it to a coin dealer this week, not one of those gold stores. I will leave t to my friend as to if he wants to get it slabbed, but I think from the remarks here, and if the coin dealer authenticates it, her will get it slabbed.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have been lucky with the two raw specimens that I have bought over the years. Those are much better photos, I don't see anything that jumps out as being fake. Nice looking coin.

14. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Genuine, AU condition. Not worth sending in for grading. Nice coin!

15. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

So what value would you place on the coin? Don't say spot, give me a dollar amount.

16. jwitten

I buy and sell these. I would pay around $240-$250 or so and hope to sell for a little less than $300.

17. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, sounds like it would cost a lot less than that to have it graded, right?

18. jwitten

Might cost up to $40 to have it graded. Just keep it raw, it is worth the same raw or slabbed in my opinion. It would have to grade pretty high (which it won't) to cover the grading costs.

19. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I'll pass your advice on to my friend. He intends to keep it, not sell it, but pass it on to his son.

jwitten likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted