IHC 1875/1875 RPD or ...?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JimG2, Jan 3, 2015.

1. JimG2

JimG2 Member

I'm not sure what to make of this
    image.jpg

RBBDoughty likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Do you have a photo of the rest of the coin? Is there doubling elsewhere?

RBBDoughty likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Strike doubling

5. JimG2

JimG2 Member

There is, right above the date, below the bust. But, my 1877 has the same thing with no doubling of the date. I'll take better pictures later.

image.jpg image.jpg

6. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

It does not exactly resemble any of the three RPDs listed in the Cherypicker's Guide--it is Strike Doubling.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, that's from the strike.

8. JimG2

JimG2 Member

9. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

i think it has a chance at being an RPD. Not 100% sure but it could be. Keep in mind that the CPG does not show every known possibility. Take shield nickels , for example, there are a huge number not shown in the CPG.

RBBDoughty likes this.
  10. JimG2

JimG2 Member

What I found odd is that the doubling below the bust is also on at least two other coins I have without date doubling. All other doubling looks like Longacre doubling as it is not just on one side of the letters. I guess the argument against it is they seem symmetrical. Here is an example of similar doubling on an 1899 that only shows on one number.
    image.jpg

11. JimG2

JimG2 Member

Here are a couple of other areas on the coin. I tried a picture of the whole coin, but you can't see enough detail. I need a better camera for those types of pictures.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Of course, there are at least 12 RPDs documented for 1875--the CPG isn't the final word; new RPDs get discovered regularly too. :) It looks like it could be MD, but the 5 is a little more complicated...I'll ask around.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    RBBDoughty likes this.
  13. JimG2

JimG2 Member

I noticed the 5 as well. What do you think about the 1899?
    This is a highly magnified view of the 5
    image.jpg

KurtS likes this.
  14. JimG2

JimG2 Member

RBBDoughty likes this.
  15. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I should have checked this reference--the picture is clearer. That certainly looks very close, if not the same RPD.

RBBDoughty likes this.
  16. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

That would be the 1875 RPD-002 or Snow-5.

Ouch, Cherrypicker's is just the tip of the iceberg for die varieties of all series. It is extremely shallow when it comes to the IHC series in particular, and is by no means definitive. For instance, our attribution database contains 1149 FEC and IHC varieties. Rick Snow's attribution guide contains around 1,000 varieties but don't quote me on his exact number.

Yes, that is very true. I found three new RPDs the week before last, and have posted several new varieties to our website since New Years. The IHC series is ripe for research and discovery. If there is a new overdate out there, it is in this series. This news should be encouraging to collectors who wish to find a new die variety.

Yes, what you are seeing on both your 1875 and 1877 - under the bust and around the letters - are 'extra outlines', also called 'Longacre doubling'. It is not strike doubling, also called MD or machine doubling.

This is a tougher attribution with the extra outlines confusing things. Also, I should mention, you very often see a ridge-line on the rim when the coin has strike doubling or MD. The ridge will be in the same direction and to the same degree as the MD on the devices of the coin.

KurtS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted