IH Grade opinion???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coinguy-matthew, Jul 18, 2012.

1. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I bought this 1905 IH at a local coin and stamp shop. The dealer was cleaning up and organizing his space so he had some coins for bargain prices. This coin was labeled Choice BU by the dealer but i would like some other opinions, so what do you think it would grade if at all???

DSCF2065.jpg DSCF2070.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Perhaps it is the image technique, but it looks like a possibly recolored AU with bad surfaces.

4. coinguy-matthew

I think what is throwing you off is the pic because in order for me to photograph the small details I have to get close to the coin with my camera lens and it eclipses the light.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

To me the coin looks as if it was worked on at some point.
    The stained areas were probably much darker at one time.

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I think it's probably safe to say the coin is AU from those pictures. That gash under the headband in the hair looks kinda deep too. Also the sentiment made above about the surfaces being altered is probably correct.

I don't believe this coin would grade.

7. coinguy-matthew

Thank you guys a bunch for posting your opinions, i am unfamiliar with this series and the coin was priced at $10 so im not out a fortune. I really bought it with the intentions of posting it on here to learn from and honestly didnt expect to get a BU IH for ten bucks.

8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

At $10 you are fine. Heck, the coin was only priced at about EF45.

9. coinguy-matthew

I buy coins reasonably priced that i know either have problems or are marked bu when in fact i know they are probably not. I from time to time post them for an opinion for the sole purpose of learning because you can read all you want but it is no substitute for experience. I could easily buy a slabbed coin if i had the intent of obtaining the grade i desired but i feel thats a little impersonal, i like to know what im buying and what to stay away from. I think this forum has a vast amount of priceless knowledge so many different people from different backgrounds its excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted