IGS reliable or not?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kevcoins, Jan 26, 2009.

1. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

I was considering purchasing a few coins graded by IGS. Does any body know if they are reliable.

http://www.igsgrading.com/

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I think you will find that the majority of the people here (and probably elsewhere for that matter) will say the NGC and PGCS are the top tier of the grading services. Following them will be ANACS and IGC. Also realize that some people will have a history of liking or disliking any or all of these. I will give you my opinion which should be worth absolutely nothing to you, but since you asked I'll give it. More than likely you can buy an ANACS or IGC coin for less than a NGC or PCGS. The first two will more than likely bring you less money as a seller than the last two. That old saying of "buy the coin, not the slab" is a true statement. If you like the coin for your collection and it is within your budget, then buy it and enjoy it. Some people also feel that IGC in particular is not consistent in grading, so again buy the coin, not the slab.

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The only coins I ever returned after purchase were IGS slabbed coins. Now, this isn't a representative sample, but as the saying goes, you have to buy the coin and ignore the grade on the slab.

5. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Kind of a tuff question. Presently there are over a hundred grading services for coins. Many, many are new. Organizations like PCGS and NGC and a few others have been around for long enough to have many goods and bads about them noted. Newer, smaller organizations are fighting for existance and may well be good or really poor. IGS is just not one of the really popular ones out there so it is difficult to get a really good reference. Who knows some day they may be the PCGS of the coin world.

6. kevcoins

kevcoins Senior Roll Sercher

Thanks guys. What I was looking at was all 6 Territory Quarters PF70 D-CAM for 50$

7. Silvergremlin

Silvergremlin New Member

You absolutely CAN'T go wrong; on that purchase, at that price!

Mike Davis likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Welcome to the forum, silvergremlin, but do note that you're replying to a thread now over 9 years old. :)

Stevearino and Jack D. Young like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, welcome to the neighborhood!

Fortunately, it is a good thing that this thread is so old because $50 for those quarters is a bad buy unless you can view the coins in hand. IGS is not a company that I would put my trust in.

Chris

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes if they are not silver, it's not a good buy at all.
    They can't give away those 6 proofs for half that price.

11. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

If you buy and sell on eBay IGS is not one of the four recognized TPG's for that venue (PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG). IGS coins would have to be listed as raw and any mention or image of a numerical grade will get your listing tossed.

Santinidollar likes this.
  12. Halo33

Halo33 New Member

Been wondering the same thing. Been buying some PR70’s from them but the drop off between the 70 and 69 grade value is enormous. Would like to resell some for some extra cash for more collecting. But looks like i may have to get lucky in order to get the 70 value, at least from an expert.
    I’ve actually been buyin them because I’ve been getting good price compared to where PCGS has them listed at...guess I should try to unload some before I put more money into them.
    Thanks for the previous dialogue these feeds help sometimes

13. Arthur W.

Arthur W. New Member

Has anyone removed a MS70 from an IGS slab & sent it in to PCGS or NGC, to see if it comes back a 70??

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Never mind cracking them out. Have you ever tried to sell one as it is in the IGS slab?

baseball21 likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If it was that easy, don't you think everyone would already be doing it?

This hobby is infested with folks uninterested in learning yet seeking something for nothing, and this is aside from the never-ending line of new folks under the impression they can waltz in to fatten their pockets at the expense of the experienced. It's a fair question, but one that many, many, many others asked before you. It's just not that easy...

16. jlc39

jlc39 New Member

Interesting old thread. I am what most consider an “old school” collector, I collect because I enjoy the coins and the history of the coins. Most of my coins are not certified by anyone and I don’t intend to sell them. Single coins that are of high value like an Uncirculated 1889 cc Morgan, not that I can afford one of those, I would want Certified by a reputable third party grader, but if the coin books under a few hundred bucks I rely on my knowledge and the Red Book and the good old internet to see if it’s worth the asking price. As for IGS, when you “Google” IGS and a coin grading service doesn’t pop up on the first page of results I would take their grading with a large grain of salt. The biggest problem I have with grading services is the simple fact there must be some subjectivity involved, whether NCG or IGS. Aside from that, the mere act of grading should not create added value, a MS-65 in a cardboard flip should have the same value as a MS-65 in a NCG slab...you’re buying the coin, not the plastic. I try to learn enough about the coin I want to buy such that I can spot a VF/XF from an AU/BU for most coins. Happy hunting to all!

17. John Adams

John Adams New Member

What a great and honest answer to the original question, by all who participated. I am an old man who has gotten back into coins after 65 years, and am now smart enough to research, ask questions, and understand that if it's to good to be true, etc. etc. Thanks again. Coins are exciting, then you put them in the box and search for more.

JPeace$ likes this.
  18. evilweevil

evilweevil New Member

heck what i dont get is if the coin is ms70 or pr70 who the heck cares about the type of label it has NGC AND PCGS are getting crazy with all the different labels they are using. I understand 1st strike but how can they differ to early release 1st day issue. and then the multitudes of other labels they use all for the same coin? i dont understand why there would be so many different pedigrees. granted I do get the struck at West Point, & Philly for the Ms coins as well. but if youre buying a graded coin heck with all the garb. a ms69 is a ms69, a ms70 is a ms70. Production #s by the US Mint and overall grade is all that matters in the end. and graded by a reputable company so long as its the coin you want.

19. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I am sure there are folks here that will disagree. We can all use the same book and will still grade the same coin differently. Just MHO.

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

Do you buy the coin or the slab?

Draft saved Draft deleted