If you won the current Megamillions drawing...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Merc Crazy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

I sure wouldn't be here or any forum for a very long time.... Life's too short so full time with my family would be my spending. Of course, coin collecting too but not all those expensive stuff.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

If I won $500M my coin collection would actually downsize. In fact, my collection would probably end up consisting of only a few, or even just one coin. The first thing I would do is visit the Smithsonian and say, "Yo! Whatcha want fo one a dem 33 Double Eagles?!"

But seriously, if I had the means of obtaining it, I would be more interested in having that one "ultimate" kind of coin. I'd be looking for an 1833 Double Eagle, 1804 dollar, 1913 Nickel, or something along those lines. When people came to visit I wouldn't ask them, "hey, do you want to see my coin collection?", I would ask them, "Hey, do you want to see the most valuable coin in the world?".

I would then do the same with paper money, find myself an 1890 Grand Watermelon. I'd hunt for a 1909 Honus Wagner baseball card, Action Comics #1 comic book, that upside-down airplane stamp, the world's largest fossilized megalodon tooth, Wyatt Earp's Guns, Shakespeare's autograph, etc, etc.

I suppose I would work towards a type collection of the ultimate examples of each collectable. I'd have a room-size vault built into my home where I could have it all displayed.

Oh ya, then I would buy a Jackson Pollock. I would cut it up into little pieces and then use the pieces to wipe my butt, just to let the world know what I thought about BS modern art.

..............Man, I need to go buy some lottery tickets!!!!!

4. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

I would do some investing, putting money away, all that good stuff, and after the beginning lump sum building the beginning of a good life, say, put 10 million into high end coins for the fun of it. How bout an 1804 dollar, 1913 V nickel, high end 1804 spiked chin half cent, flowing hair coin set, buffalo nickel set enlarging, 1894 "s" barber dime, work on type set, realize I need to spend less on coins, put more money away

5. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Just for the heck of it, I'd tune into The Coin Vault and buy 1,000 sets of colorized State Quarters.

6. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

First off, i would quit my job. Shut off my phone service.

Then go on vacation to get away and decide what to do with all the money (figure out how much to give to who, which charities I would want to give too, how much to set aside to live off of)

7. fishwhacker

fishwhacker Member

I would start minting my own coins with old Americana style images.

8. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

You know, this is the best response yet. I like your thinking. Can't think of a better way to gather your thoughts and start divvying it up than to take a vacation to a remote island, away from it all.

I'd keep the cell phone. I think it'd be fun (for a while at least) to hear from all the people that never called before. I'd be interested to see who calls and who doesn't.

9. Numis-addict

Mark Twain once said, in some fashion or another, "Everything has it's limits, iron ore cannot be educated into gold"

10. Numis-addict

Why not just buy an island and come to an agreement that it is small enough that it makes no purpose to making it part of a country, make your own country, all the fun.

11. Numis-addict

Thats a waste of money! You should buy 1,000 sets of gold plated coins. It has the word "GOLD" in the name, it must be worth more!

12. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

I'd buy my parents and siblings new houses. I'd buy my in-laws and my brother in law awesome boats because they like that sort of thing. I'd stash away a couple hundred grand for junior's college. My wife would get whatever she wants.

And I would have a pinky ring and a new Rolex and not change a thing. Except my dog would have a gold collar and the lacrosse team I coach wold be playing on a new field named after me.

Besides some saved for the rest of my days, the rest would go to one of the veterans' charities out there.

Coins? Probably still collect what I do now.

13. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

I would like to say that I would do all of these great things and societal contributions but there is a fair chance if I won that money that I would end up face down in a gutter outside of las Vegas, so I'm not even going to buy a ticket.

14. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Thats really nice Chris, exactly my style. Maybe thats why my names Chris too lol.

15. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Honestly one of my first things would be to instantly book 3 first class tickets for destinations all over the world for myself my mom and my grandma. Grandmas old so she don't got too long left, it would be now or never and I know she wants a good vacation.

Then id get back to the US give my mom a good million or two so she can get any house she pleases and a new car.

THEN id buy my 50 Tonnes of silver and scrooge mcduck it in my pool.

Oh and I'd buy my buddy Terry a nice horse. We love going to the track together and I think hed love his own horse.

16. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Revised lump sum payout is now $462,000,000. Wow.

17. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I would get a team of five full time lawyers, five full time chefs, buy me a boeing 747, get a rollsroyce, get my own private island and name is hunt-land.

18. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

coin wise I would build a nice collection of US silver coins and 1oz rounds. Nothing crazy. I'd put a few mill of gold and silver in the vault and invest.

using only the interest on my winnings I would upgrade my house take a vacation and then look into starting some non profits. having a little kid has really softened my heart to them and made me realize they all have such potential if given the right environment to develop. i would run some homes for abused moms, and teen moms to put the kids in a supportive setting and get the parents what they need to get a career going as well as learn parenting skills.

I would buy rental property
    I would flip some houses heck I could turn over entire blocks
    I would open a gold mine.
    I would become expert enough at something to go around public speaking.
    My wife is about a year away from being a shrink. I'm sure she will have her pet projects in that field as well
    Not all of this at once of course!!

19. VNeal

VNeal Member

I would secretly buy every Morgan CC to corner the market

20. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Yeah, the jackpot is up to $640 million!! It's insane. It jumped 100 million in 24 hrs. It says a lot about how desperate everybody is in this country. I wonder who's playing the other games. lol

21. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

I mean just to get 1 mill untaxed would be quite a sweet chunk of change and would certainly be enough for my modest and sometimes frugal tastes. But to get 462 mill... like WTF that is really serious cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted