If you won the current Megamillions drawing...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Merc Crazy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Everybody and their mother (well, at least mine) is buying tickets... there will be a winner this time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I was even thinking, with that amount, you could literally give everyone who buys a ticket a million bucks. If the population is around 300 million, probably 200 million are of 18 years of age and or eligible to play, you could still walk away with 30-40 million yourself while making 200 million people millionaires. ;)

4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I think you mean 200 people. You could have 200 millionaires.

5. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Hehe, I'm not sure what I was thinking there.. everyone gets a dollar then. ;)

6. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

If I won the megamillions, the store where I bought it from would be in big trouble and I wouldn't see a dime ;)

7. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

I'd be your proxy Caz. Tip me if you care to.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Whether you take $20 million annually or the lump sum of $359 million makes no difference. The IRS still charges 38%. Give me the $359 million, and I'll invest it in tax-exempt munis and never pay a dime on the annual interest. I'll have a heck of a time just trying to spend the interest I'd get each year.

Chris

9. cpm9ball

They don't actually invest it to fund the annual payments. They purchase a single-payment annuity which makes the annual payments.

Chris

10. cpm9ball

I'd buy this little bungalow on St. Croix.....

Attached Files:

11. If I won that amount of money, I would very quickly become a United States Mint Authorized Purchaser of gold, silver and platinum bullion coins. ;) I would also invest to make sure that my family was set for many generations to come and also donate a hefty sum to charity. BTW: I would tell as few people as possible about it. :) TC

12. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

.6 * 540,000,000 = 324,000,000
    324,000,000 * .62 = 200,880,000

Take that $200 million and invest it earning 5%. I would be able to receive $11 Million a year for the next 50 years, assuming the future value is 0.

13. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I just said invest for simple terms, they basically don't have 540 million, but you get that amount no matter.

14. cdwest

cdwest Member

If it was me I would invest the money in a 50% cash position and 50% mutual funds, and use the interest to fund a million dollar endowment at Childrens Hospital of Orange County, another one at City of Hope, and a third one to be spent on different church and fraternal charities.

15. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

True, but if you are young and know you got a good chance at living for the next 25 years or so, annual payments squeezes more out of it.

If you took the 540 million total, federal taxes would be $205,200,000 on that amount at 38%, leaving you with 334 million. If you took the lump sum, you'd end up with 241,180,000 dollars. ;)

Basically the annual payments would net you about a 100 million more dollars. Do what you want if you win though, who cares, like I said previously, after the first million, does it really matter at that point? Not for me it doesn't. :thumb:

16. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Are you factoring in inflation, RodeoClown? I was under the understanding that almost all winners are advised to take the lump sum due to unknowns regarding long-term inflation.

17. cpm9ball

Granted, you would get $100 million more by taking installments, but if you took the lump sum and purchased tax-exempt munis, even at 3%, you would earn about $300 million over that same period of time and never have to pay taxes AGAIN!

Chris

18. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would have the time and resources to build the very first complete Jefferson set in Full Steps because I believe that the coins exist, but have never garnered enough interest for anyone to attempt it. I thought by now the sheer challenge of it would be prize enough, but I have never heard of any serious collector (deep pockets) trying to accomplish this as yet undone feat in numismatics.

19. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Forget all that, get your lump sum payment, buy a small island and start your own country/nation where you are the only citizen (well, maybe you'd automatically make your closest relatives citizens as well, as long as they referred to you as "Your Highness"). :)

20. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

The guy on the radio this morning said you'd be richer than Lady Gaga.

I think if you had that much money to spend on coins you'd get tired of collecting them real quick. I think I would spend my collection at face value just for the heck of it.

21. cpm9ball

And have the Franklin Mint produce the coinage?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted