If you were to go back in time, and get one coin from the mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BATTERup646, Nov 29, 2015.

1. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

So, if you were to build a time machine and were to pick one coin fresh off the mint, astoundingly bypassing all of the security, and heading back home alive, what would you get? Explain.

I would get an 1849 P Coronet head $20. I would rather get the Meredith specimen over the Smithsonian specimen, because the Meredith specimen was lost, and was never found, yet. I would get this because only two were minted, plus it would look mighty fine in my collection. ;)

Post yours.

dlhill132, NSP and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I'd take the SP66 1794 $1, have it auctioned off, and then buy a bunch of other coins!

Good choice on the 1849 $20. The poor Smithsonian specimen is hairlines to heck and back.

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

1870-S Half Dime

Endeavor likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I could live with a 1943-D Copper cent! That would hold me for awhile. thumbupp.gif

rzage, Seattlite86 and Endeavor like this.
  6. BATTERup646

BATTERup646 Active Member

Another great choice. There must be more out there.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Morgan 1893-S MS-65+

Endeavor likes this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I too would take the sp 66 1794 flowing hair. That or a 1822 $5. Both coins I always dreamed of owning

Endeavor likes this.
  9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

After seeing it at the Chicago ANA show this year I'd say the 1794 66 $1 , sell it and get all the Bust Halves and CWTs I'd want with a bunch of early commems , Trade dollars and ancients . In other words , collecting what I do now but only more of them and higher graded . All while still working on my type set .

jester3681 likes this.
  10. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Double Eagle 1927 D....just my choice..

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I'd go back to the New Orleans Mint under CSA control. I'd get a CSA half reverse muled to an obverse die engraved only with:

Longnine rocks

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would go with the 1913 nickel. That would do wonders for my collection.

rzage likes this.
  13. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, early strike.

rzage and Dean 295 like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

2001 Buffalo Commem........ devil.gif

treylxapi47 likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know what purpose this would serve. Most of you have probably destroyed the world as we know it by changing history.

Chris

jester3681 and BATTERup646 like this.
  16. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I would choose a 1933 eagle in proof or specimen strike. Not as famous as a double eagle but it would be a heck of a centerpiece for a collection.

jester3681 likes this.
  17. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would take the very first coin off of the very first mint when it first stood up in 1792. No one but me would know it was a "first strike" in every sense of the word but that wouldn't bother me. The problem is, I have no idea which coin was struck first!

jester3681 likes this.
  18. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I would take a "first strike" 1793 Chain cent, not only for the value but also because nobody in our day has ever seen the true mint red color of an 18th century copper coin. Were they bright orange like the Gallery Mint reproductions or perhaps a darker color?

Then I'd have to devise a storage location to preserve the surfaces.

rzage likes this.
  19. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

the first 1792 half disme made with George Washington's melted down silverware..

20. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since the criterion is "coin" I'll ignore patterns and questionable issues and stick to business strikes.
    An UNC 1793 Flowing Hair, Chain Reverse Large Cent would certainly do it for me.
    Need one for my type set and in the real world will probably end up with a VG at best.

Mainebill and jester3681 like this.
  21. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I think I'd want the 1849 Coronet Double Eagle but in a MS68 or better.

rzage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted