If you were going to list a $300 set on eBay...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Feb 25, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Yikes! All I can say is RIP the seller's mood for the rest of the weekend. It's never a good day when you sell silver and gold coins for below face value.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I wonder if it really did sell or if the seller took it down as soon as he saw the mistake.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Paul M. likes this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This has happened to me plenty of times. Click buyitnow on a too-good-to-be-true price and get a message from the seller saying, "sorry I can't sell it for that, I listed it wrong." Only a couple times have they actually mailed it to me for the accidental price. I once got a 1921 BU Morgan for $1 and free shipping. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  7. -jeffB

It was up for two minutes. At that time of the evening, that's more than enough time for someone to hit BIN.

Hopefully, it was someone like me, who'll let the seller off the hook without raising a fuss.

8. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

It was cancelled and re-listed at the correct price.

Blissskr likes this.
  9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I once bought a listing that was clearly a pricing error just to help the seller out avoiding a troublesome buyer who'd make a big deal over it. I immediately sent the seller a message stating that I realized it was an error and I'm ready to cancel when they are. It actually worked well in my favor as the seller unbeknownst to me at the time is the person who runs my local 2x a year show and offered me free tickets for doing him a solid.

RonSanderson and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. -jeffB

Yeah, every once in a while I'll offer a seller a lifeline and they'll insist on honoring the sale anyhow. I just got three 2008 silver proof sets for $55 -- seller meant to list only two of them, which would've still been just below melt for silver + face for non-silver, but he insisted. I left him glowing feedback, and I'll see about shooting him some return business.

If it were a $300+ set that I landed for $3.95, though, I don't think my conscience would let me accept it. I also don't think a seller of sound mind would offer that opportunity. :)

Johnnie Black likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Oops............

12. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

I got lucky one time on ebay like that. I purchased an item that was supposed to be buy it now for $995., instead they listed it at $9.95. I jumped right on it and you know what, the seller realized what a big mistake he had made and still sent me the item. The shipping was even free.

Draft saved Draft deleted