IF YOU RAN THE GRADING ROOM...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Insider, Jul 2, 2020.

1. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Why not add an in house CAC like service too? They can be the 4th, 5th, and 6th person.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

“We are looking for new graders”
    “Why?”
    “They all starved to death.”

dwhiz, Mainebill and messydesk like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

A classic coin isn't any more of less collectable than a modern. Since we just want truly collectable why don't we ban anything prior to say 1200 AD or we could go even further back and just allow ancients only as everything can be argued as a modern besides them. The notion that moderns aren't truly collectable or worthy is not only silly but just flat out wrong.

Insider likes this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

If I ran the grading room...I'd close it and turn this place into the wild wild west again.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

messydesk, posted: "MS is where most of the money occurs."

Value & Grading don't mix at all. Money is the root of many problems including greed. Who wouldn't want to have their own "bank."

micbraun, posted:"I’d ban modern coins entirely and would only focus on truly collectible coins" :)

First, that was already tried. It didn't work out. Second, I'll bet a lot of collectors hope you don't get your way.

"Some other ideas:
    - there would be 3 instead of two types of grades: 1) straight grade 2) details/minor issue 3) details/major issues such as harsh cleaning, polishing or graffiti
    - in order to qualify for an MS grade, a coin actually needs to be uncirculated Lol
    - no plus grades, but an AU58 would need to be an outstanding coin with minimal wear only, star grades are used
    - variety attribution is always included, it’s not optional
    - high res pictures are always taken before the coin is graded; pictures are displayed on the certificate screen
    - all 3 graders stay in the room until they agree on a grade."

In the ideal world, there would be more discussion of grades. Keeping folks penned up until a verdict is reached would work more often than not. Now, the finalizer makes sure the "line" is held w/o much discussion. You would be surprised at how fast a knowledgeable grader can "get with the company standards."

Lehigh96, posted: "I have often said on this forum that a coin can be graded multiple times, with different grades, and each time still be graded correctly."

I agree and disagree at the same time. I use a version of this example in class:

There is a group of stars called the Pleiades. Depending on the vision of the observer or the magnification used, the number of stars seen will change by a large amount. Yet, each observer's # is correct for them. If I examine a coin at 10X with both eyes and florescent light, my comments regarding the coin's condition of preservation just might be more correct than a very successful coin dealer's with fifty years of experience. HOWEVER, his opinion is the only one that counts in the marketplace. :D

"How many times have you looked at a coin and thought, that coin is high end MS64 or low end MS65? If you think of each numerical grade incrementally from MS6X.0 to MS6X.9 and then consider that a coin will never have a perfect number, but rather a range of grades about a half grade long, then a coin could easily be graded MS64 one day, MS65 the next, and still be correct both days. We assign a specific grade, but in actuality, the coin has a grading range. So when we run into a coin with an MS64.8-MS65.3 range, we then are forced to decide which grade to choose. Often that choice depends upon personal preferences of the grader.

Perhaps if we shifted our mindset from each coin having an exact grade to each coin having a correct grading range, we will in a position to better understand and accept the inherent subjectivity in grading."

That's what the major grades once did. G, VG, F, etc. They indicated a "range."

BlackberryPie, posted: "Why not add an in house CAC like service too? They can be the 4th, 5th, and 6th person."

We already grade by committee.

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It’s my opinion, how can it be wrong? Paying hundreds of dollars for a modern coin only because the label says “MS70” is silly.

Mountain Man likes this.
  8. baseball21

It's wrong to be demeaning to areas of collecting because you don't like them. Anything you could ever post could be treated the same way by other collectors if they wanted to draw from different areas like ancients and could say it's if you paid more than melt for your profile picture as there's coins thousand of years older so why would you waste your money on something so modern?

Everything you say to demean moderns can be said about anything you collect. It's a pet peeve when collectors dump on a different area of collecting just because they don't like it

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You are stuck in the world as you know it. "Modern coins" have been collected for centuries. One day, long after you are gone, coins dated 2020 will no longer be current. Fortunately, many more will be preserved in MS due to stabbing.

Think about it. What if all those "modern" 18th Century U.S. coins had been encapsulated when they were still MS. ;)

The folks at the TPGS have the same view of "modern" coins. They are often not graded as carefully as they could be. :jawdrop:

wxcoin likes this.
  10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

If I ran the grading room there'd be free donuts and a two drink limit. That's why I don't run a grading room, or any room for that matter.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

How about I grade my own coin send it out and have my grade certified and sealed as is. Wait, I can do it all, sorry I don't need a TPG... It would be my grade against your personal need, want, and desire. Isn't that the way it's going to end anyway!

12. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

You did mean a two drink minimum, didn't you?

micbraun and wxcoin like this.
  13. wxcoin

What effect does grader fatigue play into a grade? I assume that for older "rarities" the graders aren't the sweat shop employees so those coins are graded more carefully. Even then, it all depends on who's grading the coins; another set of graders may have different opinions. Those most knowledgeable, like yourself, have probably seen many of the rarities over your lifetime and can compare a given coin to others you have seen/graded. How many times have you evaluated a coin and came up with a grade that's lower than another already higher graded coin, knowing that the higher graded coin was over graded?

14. wxcoin

Not if I was supplying the drinks!

baseball21 likes this.
  15. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Been There.
    Done That.
    Don't wear t-shirts.

16. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

The grading of any coins, sent to be graded only takes about five seconds or less. So, you base your cost on that amount of time. The deep pockets people sweep up most of the new stuff and "We" try to finish our sets paying the higher, that fall after we receive them. So, wait on buying the rush stuff. The young cannot collect now, and our hobby is dying as stamps and comics have. It's sad! I started collecting coins in 1954 and currency in about 1990. I still enjoy searching the banks, stores, metal detecting, and coin sorters.

STU likes this.
  17. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

All great ideas and thoughts, however, after law enforcement is defunded, other organizations will be defunded because someone won't like the way your coins are graded or many other organizations or businesses will lose business because there isn't enough money to fund them. I live in a very small town and our law enforcement are afraid to charge anyone because they are afraid they will be sued for one thing or another. With that started, grocery stores will close because someone didn't like they way they did business, so the burn the place down.
    No business is perfect. I believe the TPG's are doing the best they can under very difficult circumstances. I believe that this forum is a great way to learn and grow. So, thank you for all the free education that you give me for free.

18. baseball21

To many people in the hobby seem to forget that every coin was a modern at one point, if it wasn't for modern collectors we'd have a lot fewer nice coins left

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  19. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

just got a pcgs pf-70 half, there is a scratch on the head, coin rim (bag?) marks on chin and spots, good grief, and in this 500.00 order of 43 coins won at auction having trouble distinguishing the ms-66 and ms-67 ikes, they all look alike....so much for being no 1!!!! rotflmbo

20. baseball21

Sounds more like a personal grading issue

21. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

The grading process just as important as authentication.

Draft saved Draft deleted