If you hit the lottery big

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mainebill, May 6, 2018.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

ok we have the thread on if you hit the Lottery for $1k. What if you nailed the power ball say you had $10 million to spend on coins what would you buy first me I’d buy an xf preferably cac 1794 $1 and an xf cac 1796 or 7 small eagle half and an 2 xf chain cents the ameri version and the America too after that then I’d hold my money until I had a chance to get the 1884 and 85 trade dollars

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

type U.S. gold and all kinds of world gold.

4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

The first coin(s) I would buy would be a 1793 "Strawberry Leaf" Large Cent or a Gordian III AR Quinarius.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I'd most likely focus on world silver, bulk world coins (or older mint/proof sets) and older (1958 and back) US Proof/Double Mint Sets. As well as a complete 1927 set...

...meaning the first specific coin I'd target would be a 1927 D Double Eagle.

But this is all assuming I'd hit a billion dollar Powerball and could have an unlimited coin budget, not $10 mil (of which you'd get like, 4 million?)

6. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I'd put out want ads for the 51-s and 54-s proof-like Franklins.

7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I'd put an ad (full page) as well in CW and NN for the most elusive military tokens such as The Bamboo Viper and Blackhorse and offer to pay 10 or 20 or 100x the price guides. That should bring something out of hiding. I'd buy a lot of sutler tokens and a high end 1903-O Morgan. I'd also hire an agent to enquire if the Ford or Newman CSA half might be for sale--it's the only throphy coin that really interests me.

But, what would really be fun is to produce political/economic satire tokens. There are plenty of private mints and *an endless* supply of material.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    -jeffB likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I would get an Attributed 1969 S Doubled Die Cent and a new USB camera to take better pictures :rolleyes:

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Okay @Paddy54 . . . now I could get that 1870-S Half Dime !

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I have about 6 coins I need to complete my type set.
    Not surprisingly they are all pricey ones.
    THAT'S what I'd be after.
    Then if there were any money left over I would do some upgrades.

12. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

With no taxes, I'd Stock some up for college, pay off all taxes/debts, buy a new house and car; and as for PM's and coins I'd buy an MS64 Capped bust half, a big fat vault, then fill it with 100oz silver bars and buy a few 10oz gold bars. I'd buy a couple more nicer numismatic coins too.

13. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd buy both a round and octagonal $50 Pan Pac, a Pan Pac quarter eagle plus a Turban head eagle and half eagle and then finish my classic head gold set.

Mainebill and spirityoda like this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But responsibility is so BORing... :rolleyes:

(Me too. I can enjoy any coins more once the mundane worries are taken care of.)

15. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

$50 Pan-Pac both round AND octagonal.

Insider likes this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

As far as coins go, though, if I suddenly found myself with a practically-unlimited budget and no need to worry about resale value, I think I'd go after US patterns. Something about coins that might have been, especially variants on familiar designs like the WLH/SLQ/Mercury dime, really captures my imagination.

Oh, and on a similar note, One Of Everything that Dan Carr has ever seen fit to produce. Maybe even a commission or two. ;)

17. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

Shoot, I didn't see the previous post that said the same.

1894-S Barber dime
    1927-D double eagle
    1901 Morgan
    1916 Standing Liberty quarter

All mint state of course

Mainebill likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If I hit the 10 mil jackpot, I think I would invest in top population coins and see how many sets I could put together.

19. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I'd buy panzerman's collection! :D

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

4 nice 1909 cents of any type

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

My scenario was say you hit it for $100 million so you have $50 mil after taxes and you decide to spend $10 million on coins and use the rest for other things

JPeace$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted