If you had to sell your Morgans...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Where would you go? This thought came to me as I thought about my upcoming back surgery. I can cover it but I thought would if I couldn't and had to sell some of my coins and bullion. Are dealers really the only option to go to? If I have an $835 1885CC in MS64 what do dealers typically pay for it? In general what do dealers pay for popular Morgans. I have sold bullion to dealers but never coins besides ASE's.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is a really tough question to answer because there are so many variables to consider. What is the quality of each coin? Are they certified or raw? Which TPGS' graded them? What did you pay for them? Are there many VAM's?

When I sold my collection of 150+ certified Morgans (non-CC's), I consigned them to a friend on eBay, and I did very well even after paying the commission and eBay fees. I don't think I would have come close to the amount received had I sold them to a dealer, but I also sold 15 certified CC's to a dealer at the FUN Show a couple of years ago, and I made a nice profit on those.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a crap shoot any way you look at it. The only thing you should do is not try to second-guess yourself. Make up your mind and don't look back.

Good luck with the surgery.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
    dwhiz, ddddd, Blissskr and 2 others like this.
  4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of selling NGC/PCGS slabbed Morgans. I know there are a ton of other variables but was just looking for an in general answer. Would a dealer just bust out a grey sheet price? I don't have many Morgans this just came to mind and I was wondering about how liquid Morgans are.

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I think the bottom line is that you HAVE to sell your Morgans (or any other coins) then you have probably not distributed your money correct across all your investments. I think other investments should always come first and coins, which should have been bought for a hobby, should not come into the equation. All coins should be sold only when there is some benefit from doing so. Most people will not want to ever sell them.

6. cpm9ball

I would guess that most dealers probably would use the Greysheet to make it easy for themselves. What grade range are you talking about?

Chris

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

If you don't want to deal with eBay or local dealers on a quick sale, Great Collections is the way to go.

dwhiz and Paul M. like this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I mentioned in the beginning of the thread that I could cover the surgery. This is more of thinking about liquidity, selling, and profit. Just like Chris mentioned in his post in this thread. I respect where you are coming from though.

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

MS64-MS65 1880-1889 CC Morgans.

10. cpm9ball

An 1889-CC Morgan in 64 or 65? Have you thought about consigning it to Heritage or Stacks? Isn't there an ANA show coming up in Orlando soon?

Chris

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I don't have the 1889CC. I guess I am just curious in general about selling CC Morgans minted in the 1880's.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite right brother. There's too much 'passion' embeded with the obtaining, and I know I'll never get what I paid for these random 'disks' of silver and (sometimes) gold. Last ditch effort, if it comes to that, but do try to hold the line.......

13. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

It's really going to depend on the dates, the plastic they're in if they're slabbed and the coins eye appeal. Imo you'll always do better selling to a fellow collector direct than consigning or selling to a dealer. The problem is you gotta find the collector that wants the coin you have. With those dates in general it's not hard to find a buyer (dealer) who'll take them it's more a matter of finding the buyer whose going to pay what you expect or want for them. As with selling anything it's not what's in it for you the seller it's what the buyer is going to get out of it that makes the sale work.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Dave Waterstraat, Bman33 and green18 like this.
  14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

What's a fair dealer pay let's say for an 1885CC MS65? It's listed at retail on PCGS at $1,250.

15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

No idea as I don't have a current greysheet but I'd take both PCGS and NGC's coin value estimates as being unrealistic as very rarely do they line up with reality of what you'll be offered. If you were ever truly preparing to sell you can get a single month greysheet for $38 via their site if ever needed https://www.greysheet.com/Publications/GreysheetDetail

dwhiz likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

My 1885-CC, PCGS MS65 VAM-4 Doubled Dash sold for $1250 on eBay a couple of years ago. NOTE: This is one of the CC Morgans previously mentioned that I did not sell at the FUN Show because the dealer didn't want to pay a premium for the VAM.

Chris

Paul M. and Bman33 like this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good luck with your surgery.

Bman33 likes this.
  18. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Heritage auction

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

19. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Brother in all honesty good luck I had to have spinal surgery myself but I had to wait for the government to pay for it took 3 years plus and it was unsuccessful

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

20. cpm9ball

I just noticed that I made a typographical error, and it was too late to edit it. The number of CC's that I sold at the FUN Show was 15, not 45.

fixed it.Jim

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  21. ddddd

ddddd Member

From what I have seen at coin shows, most dealers will look at greysheet or heritage (lowest sale) and deduct 10%-30%

~The most recent sale on Heritage was $1,057.50
    ~Heritage lists greysheet at $1,100
    ~Heritage lists bluesheet at $950 (PCGS); $1050 (NGC)
    ~Heritage value range is $1,000-$1,200

I would expect dealers to offer anywhere from $700-$950

The price should also depend on the quality of the coin...if it's a solid blast white example or a nice toner, it should fetch more...a below average coin for the grade would not do too well.

Draft saved Draft deleted