If you had a magic wand...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Mar 11, 2019.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I would echo @GDJMSP ‘s wish, but I would not be upset with becoming one of the biggest fish in the market with an unlimited budget. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guys, money, in any and all of its forms, is and always has been nothing but an idea. Point being, whatever it is that is used for money makes absolutely no difference.

But as been suggested, let's try and stay on topic as opposed to getting sidetracked on a tangent.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I had to Like this even though I'm still shuddering at the thought.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Geeeeez Jeff !!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: I almost had to take a pill on that !

I may frame it, if I can figure out a way to get it printed :D

6. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Commodity standards can work reasonably well so long as banks - including central banks, if they exist - follow the rules of the game. That means contracting note issue when notes become less valuable than specie. Under the interwar gold exchange standard, central banks did not follow the rules - France and the U.S. both "sterilized" gold inflows by suppressing note issue even as Austria, Germany, and the UK were struggling with gold outflows.

It's probably unrealistic & undesirable to go back to a commodity standard today, so long as people are free to invest in bullion and foreign currencies. The Fed has little incentive to destroy the value of the dollar with inflation given that people can easily switch out of their dollar holdings. Ironically, the bigger threat these days may be excessively *deflationary* monetary policies.

7. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Sorry, I posted before seeing the mod's suggestion. Feel free to delete my post above if it's too off-topic...

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Just one little click on that link just to the left of + Quote, Doug, and I'll send it to you framed... ;)

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I would like the discussion of a new coin purchase to be more about the coins attributes and history vs. "how much did you pay for it?".

xlrcable likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted