If you had a magic wand...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Mar 11, 2019.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

...what would you change about the rare coin market?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Fantasy land? Lets see... First get rid of youtube. Second, quicker turn around times at the TPGs.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd get rid of, both, customer-wrapped rolls and machine-wrapped rolls!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Chris

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Deeper pockets....with money in them!

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This one's easy :) The establishment of universal and static grading standards ;)

And universal means everybody uses them, including all TPGs, and static means they do not change !

7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Free scooby snacks with each and every coin!

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

i would encouage people to learn to grade coins and stop being so dependent on slabs and stickers, especially stickers.

9. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

+1

johnmilton likes this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Firing squad or immersion in fire ants colonies for false or misleading coin/precious metal advertisements intended for anyone under 30 or over 55 years.

11. GDJMSP

Works for me ;)

And for that 25 year period in the middle there, wellllllllll, I think those guys should be forced to moderate the Bullion and Error sections for life :D

12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Rare coins? Make em realistically priced. Anyone shelling out five-six figures for any Franklin that ain’t washing dishes and cutting grass should be sent out for forty lashes.

johnmilton and CoinCorgi like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

To eliminate collector jealousy. It gets old constantly seeing collectors bash people out of jealously that they can afford something they can't, or for liking something different, or because it's modern, or because they don't understand the grading of that series etc

Rich Buck, genXmetalfan and chascat like this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’d make current circulating us coins attractive again. No more dead presidents. Back to miss liberty. And better composition than the current clad

BrianS, JPeace$, Ag76 and 3 others like this.
  15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'd have the US government abandon the current fiat currency and return to either the gold or silver standard. BAM!!!

Rich Buck likes this.
  16. GDJMSP

17. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I'd make error coins less desirable and set completion more desirable.

John Skelton likes this.
  18. johnmilton

Sorry, but this is recipe for hard times and poverty. Why should the amount of gold or silver in a county set the money supply? Even in the good days, the gold standard caused more than its share of economic headaches. The Panic of 1893 was driven in part by bad legislation caused a drain on the United States gold reserve.

Furthermore, if you went back to a Gold Stardard, what would be your gold price? Given the size of the global economy it might need to be $500,000 an ounce or more. There simply is not enough gold in the world to re-start the gold standard. The world economy has grown way passed that.

The right monetary policy is to set the money supply at a level that keeps the economy humming. Not too much because that leads to inflation and not too little because that will cause economic recessions and depressions because of a lack of liquidity.

You can I can have debates about mistakes that the Federal Reserve has made. I won’t dispute that fact that it has made things worse at times by making the wrong call. But it’s made the right call most of the time, and that’s why the economy has done, on average, fairly well since the depression of the 1930s.

19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I mentioned a silver standard as an option too. Not just gold.

Having the US dollar as a fiat currency backed by nothing other than a wish and a prayer can only be bad in the long game. As the federal deficit continues to skyrocket and grow virtually geometrically inflation is built in to the equation before taking into account the consumer price index.

As you stated, we can discuss this ad infinitum. It's most likely a lost cause. Future generations are going to be stuck handling this mess.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You mean nothing other than the federal government and the strongest military on the planet. But sure somehow silver is supposedly more important

21. johnmilton

The biggest financial problem that future generations will face is the national debt. There we are in agreement.

Fiat currency is not the problem. If you have ever had a macro economics course in college one of the concepts that you should learn is that the "commodity theory of money" is invalid. If the paper money can buy the same or more goods than the precious metal that backs it, few people will redeem their paper. If the precious metal becomes more valuable that the paper, people will rush to redeem the paper, and the system will collapse.

One of example of this ocurred during the Civil War for the Union side. The Union could not re-establish the gold standard for two decades after the war.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted