If You Get A Stimulus Check?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Dec 21, 2020.

1. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I've got kids in college. There's no such thing as "extra" money. That said, I always seem to find something for my coin obsession. It helps that I got a 6% raise this year and hopefully will get a decent bonus in May. (with hard work and some luck, knock on wood!)

serafino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Parental wisdom is usually gained from years of toil, self sacrifice and, hopefully, passed down from generation to generation. Sadly, those who need the benefit of this freely given wisdom seldom accept it when offered. An old adage, "We grow too old soon and too late smart" is one precept the young should learn and understand.
    I once asked my Father if he thought I was making a success of my life. His response surprised me when he replied, "You are the sole judge of whether you have made a success of your life." He passed away 34 years ago and I think of him often and hope he was pleased with me.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If I get a check? I'll buy chicken........I love chicken.......lousiana fried chicken.....

Heater, MIGuy and serafino like this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

6. stevereecy

stevereecy Collects Everything

I haven’t received my stimulus check. In fact I filed an extension on my 2019 taxes in October and like a dunce expected them to mail me a check like the old days. They still have not processed my taxes either and this is the first year in a decade that I was going to get a refund. So now I guess I need to rush through and process my 2020 taxes and include that information so that I can get a refund due to the tax credit. I tell you pisses me off. The government owes me more than three grand and they are dragging their feet.

What makes it infuriating is that I sent my checking account information to the IRS for the first stimulus check (uploaded to their database) back in May and they paid that one (late) with electronic deposit. They still have my information in a database but didn’t put two and two together. It would’ve been a simple matter for them to just use the previously uploaded data to send out checks to people like me. They did not provide a portal to upload your checking information.

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Just wait.

atcarroll likes this.
  8. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Hopefully you have use for the firewood, or for that matter you might want to check around, a lot of lumber/wood places look for large oak (and other species) trees intact so they can get the large, long trunks to make big beams, etc.

serafino likes this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have two towering Red Oaks in my back yard. I planted them almost 40 years ago (in May, 1981). One of them is as if it is on the verge of death. Since the tree is nearly 60 feet tall and, perhaps 9 or 10 feet in circumference, the lowest offer for its removal I have received was $5000.

We had an Arizona Ash—planted that very same day—that was damaged severely by a hurricane some 15 years back. This one cost me almost $2K to remove back then, and filled three large trucks to cart it off. The Oak in question today is the one in the right rear of this photo.

Attached Files:

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

We were fortunate. A few years ago a very large Maple over 60 years old came down. The farmer neighbor came over and help me remove it. He took out 11 dump truck loads of firewood. That was a big tree but we have one larger.

11. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

$2,000 per month? That's actually cheap. One bedroom apartments in the trashy part of city I live in go for on average $2,800 per month. Life is miserable for those who fork over roughly 65% - 75% of their total monthly earnings just to pay for rent. It's a sad state of affairs and I feel for them. But I'm not a land lord so I can't do anything about it for anyone. Land lords I personally know preach for and vote to increase minimum wage, and then when it's increased they just turn around and increase their rents.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  12. Collecting Nut

Just received my check today. Now the question remains, which coin do I buy?

13. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Mine bought a 1858 Flying Eagle Cent in XF with the remainder buying a new laptop for home. I think I'm going to use the old laptop as a file storage system for my coin accumulation. (I think it's to large to call a collection anymore)

14. VistaCruiser69

The majority of people I know around town at various businesses I patronize are using it to put food on the table. $2,000 would have been better for them instead of $600, but we'll see how it all turns out. Me personally, I have a auto loan that I plan to apply it to the balance.

15. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

Based on your average quoted rent, I'm going to assume that you're probably in LA/SF/NYC.

I can assure you, if you were a landlord you'd be raising the rent as much as possible in these cities also. I own a few rental properties in LA and what most people, especially renters, don't understand is that these rentals are usually cash flow negative for many years.

That greedy landlord that is charging $2K a month for the one bedroom probably has to pay a few hundred dollars every month out of their pocket just to own the place. They need to squeeze every penny out they can so they don't have to keep paying money out of their pocket.

In high priced cities the landlord generally makes money through property value appreciation. Therefore, they are locked into paying money out of their pocket every month for many years, hoping that the value of the property rises enough to offset these losses and provide a decent return many years in the future.

16. VistaCruiser69

Bingo!

17. VistaCruiser69

Back in the 70's and 80's, my father was a VP of a mortgage company. I remember my parents would throw company parties at our home. I'd listen to what they would all talk about in regards to real estate. The biggest point they used to stress was that the best way to make money is to buy up property, rent it out and in the end, the tenants paying the rents paid for the property that they own. Plus, the property/land increases in value tremendously. The land lords I personally know, they've paid off most of their rental properties since the 70's and 80's. I've worked for a number of financial institutions over the years in the San Francisco area, so I've had hands-on access to such information at such level. At which time, I then knew where all the ultra-wealthy reside in places like Hillsborough make their money. It's not uncommon for very wealthy families (each) to own 30+ homes in the Sunset district and other places throughout the area. They make their family fortune collecting rent and these properties increase in value only because of the land.

Buy a property, rent it out, after 30 or so years the tenants have actually paid off the property and the value has appreciated 800% compared to the original purchase price.

18. Collecting Nut

It was another government check but not my $600.00. I thought it got here too fast. Just means I'll have more time to decide on what coin to buy.

19. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

These trees are down now and money spent. Caught the big one coming down mid-fall in the second photo.
    [​IMG] 20210119_132943_resized_1.jpg

masterswimmer likes this.
  20. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

That is funny louisiana chicken

At least it does nt come from the sh*t hole of new orleans . Hopefully it s prime grade out of the cities of baton rouge , new olreans , and shreveport . . .

As for me , it ll be payinb the credit card(s) . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted