If You Get A Stimulus Check?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Dec 21, 2020.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well, supposedly checks will soon be mailed out! If you get one will you buy yourself a coin? :D Any coin in particular? Silver, gold, ancient? I'll go first, yes, probably a small gold coin but we'll see! Anyone?

David Betts likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Indeed, means I can get more things fixed in my house.

Danomite and Robert Ransom like this.
  5. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

I'll go with a pan/pac $1.00 gold half by me half by Uncle Sam need it to fill set! Happy Holidays Nice Thread

Santinidollar and fretboard like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't get a check. I have direct deposit. I have more important things to spend the money on like food, rent & utilities.

7. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Don’t qualify.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

no

it will goto food and pay bills

9. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

There are them that have and them that don't.

10. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

This year other things taking precidence

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

The first round of stimulus checks went to the education investment accounts for our grandsons. We just had our first granddaughter and she'll be the recipient of this round of checks.

12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

If you can afford to use it to buy a coin you should donate it to somebody that needs it. You want trinkets while people are starving.

brg5658, fretboard, Muzyck and 8 others like this.
  13. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

If I get one I will blow it all on Peace Dollars to complete my Dansco.

14. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Same as I did with the stimulus checks that my wife and I got last spring (before she died) - gave the money to charities that help feed the poor. They need it more than we do.

MIGuy, brg5658, fretboard and 9 others like this.
  15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I see where you're coming from but this line of thinking is duly misguided. This can be said for all collectors who use their essentially excess wealth of whatever amount, from whatever sources, to buy coins. I mean, how is this different when someone uses their savings to buy coins when they could just as well not buy said coins and use it to help those in need?

And I'm not sure if you're referring to the world in general but there is a lot of support and resources in Western countries to help those in need. There are soup kitchens, food banks, EBT cards, etc. Believe it or not but most grocery stores are horribly wasteful. Such stores throw out blocks of perfectly good cheese into dumpsters and do the same with perfectly good "day old" bread. And the perfectly good bottles of orange juice that are out of date on the label by a day? Straight to the dumpster.

This is where your energy, in my view, could be more constructively focused: reforming the wasteful culture of grocery stores and the needlessly excessive food waste overall in wealthy countries. Those who want to use their stimulus checks to buy coins? It's not something I'd worry about too much in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    john65999, Jaelus, jwitten and 7 others like this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Boooooooooooring... :)

goossen and HAB Peace 28 2.0 like this.
  17. Jeffjay

So let's have the needy throwaways so I can have a shiny gold coin. If you can afford to buy something as frivolous as a coin with stimulus money you really don't need it.

Etcherman likes this.
  18. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Correction. I was just pleasantly informed (like 15 minutes ago), that I might qualify? If I get it? Which STILL remains to be seen? I’ll just put it into my bank account. Or maybe, give it to someone else. A family member or a friend? Why not?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  19. Jeffjay

That's what I say. This money isn't intended for people to increase their numismatic portfolio.

20. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

It is labeled a stimulus check. They actually want to infuse the money into the economy in various ways. The payment is meant to stimulate the economy by being spent. Buying a numismatic collectible is no less a stimulus to the economy than using the money to buy a shirt, golf clubs, a book, tires for your car, ammo, dance lessons for a child, etc.

Jaelus, jwitten, YoloBagels and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted