If this isn't a dd I might just give up"HELP PLEASE"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AnewFoundhobby, Mar 18, 2015.

1. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

You can have doubling and md on the same coin. Different processes to make each. Look on feebay and you can find many scopes for low prices. You can also go to lincoln cent forum and go to the photography forum to get some suggestions.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, it could. A true Doubled die is doubling on the die used to strike the coin, so the doubled die on the striking die is transferred to the coin planchet when struck, thus a doubled die coin. MD is caused by doubling due to the way the die ( doubled or not) is attached in the press, so IF a doubled striking die was loosely held in the press to cause MD, then you would have both, MD of a DD coin. Normal coins are the most common by far, MD coins are fewer, and DD are least of the three. MD has no effect on the value of the coin to most collectors.

4. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

Thanks Desert Gem. I have posted so many bogus MD and damaged coins on this site. When I found a real one I had cried wolf a hundred times. Sure it would be great to find valuable coins in rolls. It's fun just to find unusual coins too. I found a couple of CDN rock dove Centennial cents that were amusing. Some of my MD finds are worthless but really cool looking. I found a few real DDO's that are next to worthless. Then I found 1984d ddo 002. It's one of those coins that you know it's the one. After all the MD crap I thought was real it was immediately obvious and I saw what real hub doubling is and I finally don't fall for most of the bunk any more. ​

5. coop

coop Senior Member

Yes you can have both on the same coin. Here is a case in point that Ken Potter had an image of:
    [​IMG]

6. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

I respectfully disagree on needing high grade equipment to take a good photo. I got mine on e-bay for $25 and it does a good enough photo IMO

Attached Files:

Rick Stachowski and coop like this.
  7. coop

coop Senior Member

Bryant: I'm glad you pointed that out with the second image. I would have thought it was just an image. But now I see why you did and it is great.

8. bryantallard

hoping so. here is a Wisconsin D I found that I didn't see on Wexler's site too

Attached Files:

9. bryantallard

10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Yes you don't have to spend lots of money for ok equipment, but again, look at the images that were taken, theres not even anything to talk about, his equipment doesn't take good images...

11. bryantallard

I agree completely...but those microscopes that they use..that look like something you find in a classroom are expensive. the lowest I found was $300. that's a little much to spend just starting out

12. coop

coop Senior Member

Getting the right microscope is better. You can get a fixed power, or 2-3 different ones. You can get them too strong. Or you can get the infinite zoom. I use the 3.5-35X one. That way I can get the shot I want.
    [​IMG]

13. tomfiggy

Even a cheap $42. 00 USB microscope will get you there. I popped the lens out from a cheap plastic Harbor Freight magnifier. The tube fits over the end of the scope. It's black, and it fits tight. I use the wider part as a base and it goes over the top of the coin. no light gets in from the sides. My icon was taken with it.

14. tomfiggy

Here are some pics of my setup. In a darkened room, with the translucent filter, I can take some fairly decent pics. The stand that came with the microscope was a joke. By sliding it into the plastic lens holder it stays still and I can focus.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted