If this isn't a dd I might just give up"HELP PLEASE"

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AnewFoundhobby, Mar 18, 2015.

1. I hope this is what I' suppose to be looking for because this is the most promising I've seen.

Attached Files:

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

It looks like "Machine Doubling" or "Mechanical Doubling" sometimes referred to as "Shelve Doubling" (they all mean the same) but not a doubled die.

Surf this web site when you get a chance: http://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

This page http://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html might help to understand some of the differences, when you get to the bottom click on "Mechanical Doubling".

I know this can be confussing in the beginning, that is why it is always better to read before buying the coins.

You may also find this web site useful as to what to look for: http://www.varietyvista.com/Doubled Dies.htm

Welcome to the "Fun Side" of coin collecting

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Time to give up... Machine Doubling.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It seems as though you haven't been trying for too long. Take the time and make the effort to learn how coins are struck. Learn the difference between DD and MD. Keep asking questions. You'll get there. I did, but it took a lot of time.

medoraman likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

Now you have your first DDR ( Quarter )

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. coop

coop Senior Member

This image might help you.
    [​IMG]
    Note on the left the machine doubled example and the one next to it the normal one? They are the same size. The devices on the left were reduced by machine damage (die movement during the strike) that reduced the devices slightly. That is what your coin has on it. But note the example on the right. That shows the devices doubled. That is not caused by the machine but the hubbing of the die made the devices doubled. Thus the term doubled die. Note how the overall size of the device is now a lot larger. That is what happens on a coin struck from a doubled die. So if the devices are reduced in size, they are called machine doubled. I call these machine damaged as they are not doubled, but damaged.

rlm's cents likes this.
  9. coinman1234

10. coop

coop Senior Member

The problem is that the DDR is on the lower area of the fireworks spray:
    [​IMG]
    And the three windows above the arc:
    [​IMG]
    The area the OP shows is the uppper part of the fireworks. You can see in his image where the metal is pushed upward from the machine damage. On the DDR it is rounded.

11. coinman1234

It took me three+ years of checking all my pocket change and coin rolls, looking through my collection, and a whole lot of posts on here to find what people on here said looks like a real doubled die. Believe it or not, it was the first coin I ever bought, three years ago. I guess I missed it even though it is rather large large.

I researched how they were formed (When I first started collecting I though they were struck twice :banghead:) Looked under a loupe and found plenty of MD.

12. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Coop, his looks like
    2013-P 25¢ MD WDDR-003.

13. coop

coop Senior Member

But a side by side of that die (WDDR-003) still shows the same thing I'm seeing. There is a disturbance on these devices that are machine doubled compared with the Wexler image that shows a rounded, hub doubled look. Not the flat shelf like edge. That is what I'm seeing on this coin.
    [​IMG]

jay4202472000 likes this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

To even argue this is MD, need new images, ones showing aren't good enough to even say that, even an error expert would quote this, to tell this thread this coin is nothing but MD, could cost him a DDR ..

jay4202472000 likes this.
  15. ok guys ill post some now. And Ive got more.hey men i just compared the two and they are a match. I'm using my androind phone and a leans on tripod to take the pictures. theses may be better.got couple new lenses out of old camcorder

Attached Files:

16. Rick Stachowski

DDR #3, or DDR #1 ?

17. Thanks alot. Can you tell me what it might be worth

18. I still believe this is a ddo. What is happening is my phone isn't taking accurate photos. I've got to invest in a leopole or something that is pretty inexpensive because my money is really tight right know. Can you tell me somewhere to look and an estimated price of something fairly good

Attached Files:

19. Rick Stachowski

Since there's no price guide yet, what ever somone is willing to pay, and thats a very nice DDR ...

20. Rick Stachowski

Heres a site to check your Lincoln Cent http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/date.php

21. Where do you suggest me selling it after I have it sent to pgs and it returns. I hear the name heritage auction a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted