If the Dacians all looked like this, what took Rome so long to defeat them?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jul 22, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

This poor fellow looks like he could use a few hamburgers. Or could have been Ray Bolger's understudy in The Wizard of Oz.

Trajan AR Denarius, 106 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right with drapery on far shoulder; IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TRP COS V P P / Rev. Captive Dacian in peaked cap with wide brim, seated right on shield in mournful attitude with left elbow on raised left knee, and face resting in left hand; below, curved Dacian sword right; SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI. RIC II 218, RSC II 529a, Sear RCV II 3168 (obv. var.: bust with aegis). 17 mm., 3.02 g., 6 h.

Trajan-Dacian in mourning jpg version.jpg

svessien, TJC, singig and 35 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice coin! However, I think you've misidentified the bust type. I believe yours is RIC 219, RSC 529, BMCRE 175, with a laureate head:
    canvas 2.png

The one with the drapery on left shoulder (RIC 218, RSC 529a, BMC 179) looks like this:
    canvas.png

TJC, Sulla80, Spaniard and 18 others like this.
  4. DonnaML

I think the seller's belief, and the reason they identified the coin as RIC 218, etc., is that in fact there is drapery on the left shoulder, but only the faintest trace of it can be seen given the wear on the coin. Personally, I don't see it, and think you may be correct.

I've also seen different sources describe the Dacian as variously male and female. (Here we go again.) Mine looks like the former, and yours more like the latter.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. Roman Collector

It's usually apparent, even with an advanced state of wear:
    Trajan COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC Arabia denarius.jpg Trajan COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC Victoria denarius 1.jpg

TJC, singig, Spaniard and 11 others like this.
  6. DonnaML

I suspect that you're right, and the seller was wrong. It's an outrage! I've been snookered.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Trajan 6a.jpg
    TRAJAN
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P laureate, draped
    REVERSE: COS V P P SPQR OPTIMO PRINC – DAC CAP in ex. Dacian seated r. on pile of arms, his hands bound behind him.
    Struck at Rome, 103-111 AD 2.8g, 18mm
    RIC 96

TJC, singig, Sulla80 and 14 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

The coin is still lovely and historically interesting! It just has a different bust type!

DonnaML likes this.
  9. DonnaML

I was just kidding, @Roman Collector. My description now reads as follows:

Trajan AR Denarius, 106 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right; IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TRP COS V P P / Rev. Captive Dacian in peaked cap with wide brim, seated right on shield in mournful attitude with left elbow on raised left knee, and face resting in left hand; below, curved sword right; SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI. RIC II 219 (http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=RIC+II+Trajan+219); RSC II 529; Sear RCV II 3168 (obv. var.); BMCRE 175 (https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_R-11584). 17 mm., 3.02 g., 6 h.

Thanks for the correction.

TJC, ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Very nice and historic OP coin. I have a similar coin, but not as nice condition:
    Trajan Dacia.jpg

TJC, singig, Sulla80 and 11 others like this.
  11. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

Dacian hat looked like a phrygian helmet, brimless and with the tip towards the front. I believe that neither the hat, neither their flag (the not a "donkey head") are accurately represented on coins.

Moreover, seems that the enemies were misrepresented on purpose; just considering the entire FTR series as an example on how the weak barbarians were shown.

12. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Lovely Trajan coins, and an interesting thread about representing the “Other.” By the fourth century, it seems the Romans had a couple of ways of signaling “barbarian,” with one being the Phrygian cap (top) and the other depicting the barbarian bare-headed, with a kind of weird, bulbous head of hair (bottom).

What’s fascinating to me is that both representations can be found on Constantinian SOLI INVICTO COMITI variants that were likely minted to celebrate his victory over Licinius in 316—in other words, not a war against barbarians but against other Romans. Perhaps the army had been sufficiently “Germanized” by this time so that a captive from their first civil war could be represented as a barbarian. But it seems to me that Constantine wanted to say that he who is against me is no Roman at all.

Sorry this is a bit of a hijack. But I wonder if what we call the “Phrygian cap” on later coins may actually be a Dacian hat described by @catadc above?

CONSTANTINE RIC VII Rome 17.JPG
    CONSTANTINE RIC VII Rome 55.JPG

TJC, singig, Sulla80 and 9 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The curved sword made a rare reappearance in exergue of a Septimius Severus 'Emesa' denarius showing the captive from the Parthian war. These are dated TRP III (195) and seem to be the end of the series from that mint. My example is terrible but never got upgraded.
    rg2730bb1175.jpg

I'll add two of the common (no sword) types showing the attire of what was then considered to be the recently defeated enemy. However, we really do not know if the die cutter had knowledge of the appearance of the foe or if the coins were modeled from those of Trajan.
    rg2710bb0115.jpg rg2740bb0675.jpg

14. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have a sword beneath variant of the Sept. Sev. which is combined with an obverse legend error

IMP CAE L SPE(sic) SEV - PERT [AVG COS II]

[​IMG]

TJC, singig, Sulla80 and 10 others like this.
  15. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The sword seems to also make an appearance on the "Trophy with arms below, dejected captive seated beneath, shield on knees" type from the eastern IMP VIII series though it is less clear. Th reason for thinking it is there is that a similar artifact appears under the exe on three different reverse dies of this scarce type

INVICT IMP
    [​IMG]
    INVICTO IMP
    [​IMG]
    INVICTO IMP (but no shield on captive)
    [​IMG]

16. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I'm struck by the stylistic difference between the OP and Roman Collector's top coin, and I noticed there is a dot under what I assume was intended to be a curved sword in the exergue of RC's coin.

Is there any chance that the two coins may have come from different mints?

TJC and DonnaML like this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great coin, Donna! LOL, yeah, well... Maybe those skinny Dacians had the Romans figgerred out until Trajan finally threw a massive campaign against them. JUST because they had a bit of Gold that the Romans were beginning to run out of...

I have a very pedestrian version, but it is a Dacian...

upload_2020-7-23_8-19-9.png
    RI Trajan AR Denarius 98-117 CE Trophy over Dacian Captive RIC II 222

TJC, singig, Spaniard and 8 others like this.
  18. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Donna, That's a lovely portrait of Trajan :D. The Romans had a real gift for depicting the vanquished :smuggrin:. The Dacians remained a threat to Rome until the reign of Trajan Decius, AD 249-251.
    JAZ Auction, T.D. antoninianus (2).jpg

19. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice coin Donna. That Dacian needs some nourishment. Super-size the burger and fries!

TJC, +VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  20. DonnaML

Indeed. Although by the time of my only other "captive" coin (issued by Constans around 348-350 AD), instead of portraying their captives as undernourished matchsticks, the Romans had shrunk them to the size of Munchkins.
    Constans jpg version.jpg

21. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Like Al Kowsky's coin, another TD depiction of Dacia:
    TrajanDeciusAntDacia.jpg
    Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD. AR Antoninianus (23mm; 3.31 gm; 12h). Rome mint, 1st officina. 2nd-3rd emissions, 249-250 AD. Obv: Radiate and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Dacia standing left, holding a Draco-headed staff. RSC 16.

Draft saved Draft deleted