If NGC wants us to take them seriously, they need to stop lying.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Oct 21, 2016.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You are right on the money....all these third party grading outfits "overgrade" the coins/ plus in many cases, have been fooled by "fakes" that they did not detect.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Please show us examples of this.

Deacon Ray and Insider like this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks the reverse devices look tooled, too?

6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

JA nailed it as far as I'm concerned!

I see evidence of light tooling along with some heavy smoothing and I think an AU grade is ridiculous.

8. John Anthony

In my opinion, the entire reverse is heavily tooled. I actually don't mind some light smoothing, if it simply cleans up the surfaces.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I can appreciate your opinion about heavy tooling but I still see far too many linear scratch marks on the reverse to think of that coin as displaying light smoothing...but then again I wear glasses LOL

Deacon Ray, Paul M. and John Anthony like this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I see this post :rolleyes: is coming from the "Worlds most, informed "Ex-Pert" and supreme coin authenticator and grader." :vomit: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm not familiar enough with the type to know if the reverse style jibes with authentic examples but at first glance the reverse style just looks wrong and very tooled, like the entire figure was recarved.

However, I haven't found true comparisons in archives. Maybe this particular Pyrrhus issue just looks cartoony? I hope that is the case, but the style sure looks wrong wrong wrong.

I'd like to see other examples from this reverse die. If anyone finds online examples, please post them here. I haven't found any.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

It's quite sad, for I "love" the toning on the OP-coin ... and yes, it may have a bit of smoothing/tooling, so I am "out" (I have zero tolerance where sellers claim a wee bit of tooling, smoothing, scratch-marks, etc)

Oh, but I did get a bit of wood seeing Scully ... well played

:rolleyes:

Deacon Ray likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Are you just sarcastic by nature or only when not dealing with people in person? Many, if not most, of your posts have that snarky quality I find many people have when hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

Stevearino, JBGood, Kentucky and 16 others like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I heart coins

JBGood and Deacon Ray like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh, duh. I tried a different spelling (Pyrrhos) and found some examples. From CNG's archives:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think the OP coin looks very tooled.

Smojo, Mikey Zee, Deacon Ray and 8 others like this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Good call, Bing ... 100%

:rolleyes:

=> you have good people-sense (you rock)

JBGood, Alegandron and Insider like this.
  17. Insider

I'll answer this @Bing

For some "member" and (I don't care if the member works in the British museum) to post disparaging crap like his and say in effect "ALL TPGS's overgrade coins" sets me off. I have news for all of you reading this. We each have our own grading standards; NEVERTHELESS the "overgraders" at the TPGS's and their dealer customers HAVE SET THE GRADING STANDARDS for all of us. That's why coins are not graded the way we learned. So now IMO, many of us have become conservative graders and unless he learns (as I have) the "new system" he'll get his eyes picked out!

As for authentication errors, there is not a museum, collector, dealer, auction house, etc that has not made them in the past and will not continue to make them. Nevertheless, we are lucky to have TPGS's, museums, AND KNOWLEDGEABLE NUMISMATIST COLLECTORS to help weed out the fakes.

Now, I'm curious. Excluding U.S., foreign, and tokens from this; how many actually deceptive counterfeit ancients has our big-mouth been the first to identify to the world? That's all I'll say. :muted: Another thing for sure - we have not seen anything yet as far as deceptive counterfeits.

PS There is only one moderator here who knows who I am. He agrees 100% with your comment. :sorry::shame: I'm trying to change :( but some misinformed comments set me off!

Edited words in "snarky" post.:angelic:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Johndoe2000$ and Michael Clarke like this.
  18. John Anthony

Have you tried decaf?

Stevearino, JBGood, Kentucky and 12 others like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Methinks the troll has returned.

Brian Bucklan likes this.
  20. Insider

So, I guess you both agree (Post#2) with your friend's post?

21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

OK guys and girls, quit the snark. Insider I do not agree with post #2, but the poster has as much right to say that as you to say the opposite. He however did not use personal adjectives similar to your rebuttal post. So cool it. Thanks. The rest of you ancient guys, cool it also. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted