If men are from Mars, then where the he!! is this coin from?? Id help please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I got this fun lil fella in a lot a while back and am at my wits end. I believe it is provincial (though the reverse eagle on thunderbolt had me looking through plenty of Ptolemaic coins on ac search). It is bronze, 18 mm, has a helmeted individual (Mars/Ares, Athena??) and the reverse appears to say ANTI CON. Would appreciate any help. And please post any similar coins.
    20181111_115605.jpg 20181111_115618.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm stumped. But the real knowledgeable folks will cut through the Gordian knot pretty quickly.

Ryro likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=3791&category=88772&lot=3101997

[​IMG]
    Pseudo-Autonomous Æ18 of Antiochia ad Maeandrum, Karia.
    Pseudo-Autonomous Æ18 of Antiochia ad Maeandrum, Karia. Struck during the Roman Imperial period, 30 BC-276 AD. Bust of Athena right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet / ANTIOXEΩN, eagle standing facing on thunderbolt, head right, with wreath in beak. SNG Copenhagen 33. 2.86g, 18mm, 6h.Very Fine. Extremely Rare.

Your eagle is facing a slightly different direction. That may or may not make any difference in catalog number or rarity. I don't have SNG Copenhagen.

ominus1, Cucumbor, Multatuli and 8 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There is another one on asiaminorcoins.com. That's a good place to look for coins you suspect of being from... Asia Minor :D.

This coin's eagle looks more like yours. I think the reverse might be a die match. Haven't checked the obverse yet.

Multatuli, Silverlock and Ryro like this.
  6. Ryro

giphy-1.gif
    TIF with the swish:cool: Your expertise is always appreciated:D

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

At the risk of pulling back the curtain and ruining my reputation as someone who is good at identifying coins, all I did was plug the words "athena eagle antioch" into ACsearch, figuring the city was one of the Antiochs. There were fewer than fifty hits and only one which matched your coin. Took less than a minute. If I didn't hit it with those words I would have next tried "ares eagle antioch".

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Sounds like what I do with anything that is not a LRB :p

Ryro and TIF like this.
  9. Ryro

I don't know why I was so sure it was Mars? But I could swear I tried antioch and had no luck. Either way thanks for the help @TIF.
    Did ya'll notice the coins "extremely rare" designation? That's right, I'm rich folks!:greedy::woot::facepalm: Even if it doesn't buy me my own personal airplane, pretty fun lil provi:)

ma-shops, Roman Collector and TIF like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thanks for pointing out this site, TIF. I found four specimens of a type I was researching and they showed differences in ID details and the minor points of the coin detail so now I am even more confused than ever. I may not have found the one and only answer but I did find proof I am not the only one that is confused.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I did notice! I only found two, one in ACsearch and one on AsiaMinorCoins. I didn't try Vcoins, MA-shops, or eBay. I think it's a very cool coin if only because of the rarity and uncertainty about its origin and time of issue. I think you could sell it for enough to buy a nice dinner at Chipotle, with enough money left over to buy high-end toilet paper ;) :D.

ma-shops, Justin Lee, Smojo and 3 others like this.
  12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Yeah the baseline for a private jet starts at a cool 60 mill. ;)

Ryro likes this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...*POOF!*

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted