If Kennedy was not assasinated, would we still have the Franklin half?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TylerH, Jan 9, 2019.

1. JAMES SMITH

JAMES SMITH New Member

Still have Franklins, yes

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

I was hoping they'd go back to the Franklin Half . I liked President Kennedy and a Memorial/Commemorative coin was appropriate , it doesn't feel right though to have continued on and possibly led to the demise of the half dollar in circulation because of hoarding(guilty) the New Issue of a coin of a much loved President who's life ended tragically in public . Most likely the half dollar would not have continued in circulation after the change to clad .
    But then again I collect any coin , medal , token with a Franklin image .

4. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Since Franklin was not a president, if JFK had not been assasinated, I think MLK JR. would be on it as it was almost as tragic to the nation as JFK. the gov would have jumped through hoops to settle the nation from its turmoil.

Two Dogs likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I do believe your math skills are superior to mine. 2022 would be the date.

6. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

Interesting thread. I'd like to see a silver half with Theodore Roosevelt on it. He more than deserves to be commemorated. I've read biographies of all our presidents. The Colonel, as TR was known after his presidency, was my favorite. Any way you measure him, he was our best and most honest ever.

7. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Time for a new, but classic 50¢ piece? :-(

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not for circulation. That ship has sailed, I'm afraid.

Time to acknowledge reality and ditch cents, AND nickels, AND dimes. Quarters aren't ready to sail off yet. I'd prefer circulating $1, $5, and $10 or $20 coins.

But it doesn't matter, because plastic will finish taking over from cash before any of this happens. (Should probably say "bits" instead of "plastic" -- plastic cards will seem quaint before you know it.)

9. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

I bought an Abe Lincoln commemorative half dollar once just because Abe's image was so ugly. The coin's designer used a statue of him from when he was a judge as a model because it was more accurate than portraits of him. In truth, Lincoln was very ugly, ungainly, skinny and poorly proportioned with very large feet, hands, and ears. He realized this and sought out a professional photographer to take publicity photos of him for newspaper articles and campaign posters etc. The man was a photographic genius and posed Lincoln very carefully positioning every part of him to exactly the right position and exactly the right lighting to downplay his ungainliness. Were it not for this fellow, Lincoln would never have been elected president. It's an interesting story, look it up. To me it says never underestimate anybody. Who'd have thought that a lowly photographer literally changed history?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Interesting story! And mildly disturbing.... I had believed that “image made the man” was a late twentieth century concept.

MisterWD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted