If I were to ever slab this coin.....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eduard, Dec 8, 2019.

1. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

While it was probably dipped or cleaned sometime in the past 194 years, I would not be surprised if it ends up in a straight graded holder. This series tends to get more lenience than others when it comes to third party grading (whether or not this should happen is up for debate, but it is what happens whether you agree with it or not). Definitely not a bad coin even if it does end up in a details holder. In case you care about die marriages, it is B-3, R3.

Eduard, Spark1951 and PlanoSteve like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The concern about the mark on the rim at the top of the obverse is if it is a repair. If that is a rim bump that has been filed off, that would result in a “details” grade. These defects can be quite subtle.

As for the scratches, the number of them could be a problem. If there were only one or two, it could pass. If there are more of them, it could be an issue.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I see what you might interpret as raised pimples on this coin, and I know what you're implying. However, I don't see anything that significantly points me towards counterfeit on this coin. It looks real to me.

If this is a counterfeit, then we're all screwed.

johnmilton and Magnus87 like this.
  5. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

You have to look really hard to see the “pimples”. They aren’t but a few, and to me look more like the occasional bits of die rust that are not uncommon on early US silver. And yes, I also think it’s real.
    Dave S.

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

If this is a counterfeit, then I am talking to Dave Bowers who sold it to me in 1988.
    Of course this is not a counterfeit.

Let me recap this coin the way I see it:
    It was almost certainly dipped, but IMO not harshly cleaned - no cleaning lines evident. However, it does show two hairlines on obverse which become more or less evident depending how you tilt the coin.
    Small mark on edge at 12:00.
    Surfaces are smooth and partially reflective, with some proof-flike character. Color is bringt at the center centers with multi-colored peripheral toning.
    Mark on edge at 12:00 visible only the obverse is tiny, and if somebody had not pointed it out from the picture, I would have missed.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I’m not sure where the pimples are, but die rust is a definite possibility for explaining them away. Since this die would’ve been three years old by the time it was used (since both 1825 obverse dies are 1825/4/2 overdates), it definitely could’ve suffered corrosion/pitting before it was used. I doubt the Mint’s rust preventives were all that good in the 1820s.

I would be exceedingly shocked if this coin was a fake and I would go buy a hat to attempt to eat if it was proven to be a counterfeit.

PlanoSteve and Eduard like this.
  8. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

With a ER-40/45 technical grade, a small rim ding, a couple of small scratches, and an old cleaning this looks like a --- wait for it --- an 1825 bust half! The TPGs will probably not body bag this one and they probably shouldn't.

The scratches will have to be "in the eye of the beholder" as far as desirability is concerned when the coin is in hand for the individual collector.

If you want it in plastic, send it in. It doesn't preclude your options even if it's detailed, you would just be out a few bucks.

BTW, I think it's a nice coin.

Eduard and PlanoSteve like this.
  9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you for your comments AND for the attribution, @NSP !

NSP likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted