if I had a $100 budget for one coin....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Aug 19, 2018.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

what date would be best of a Morgan dollar in AU or MS?
    What date in what condition (certified by TPG) is most recommended for the price point?
    For a AU/MS certified Type Set
    EDIT- If this helps explain, I'm at about $50 per month coin budget with the preference of $100 budget per coin equaling to 6 type set coins per year but obviously the rarer gold stuff will definitely be more than $100 a coin

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If (IF) looking for as nice and eye-appealing as possible, check into early 1880's San Francisco examples, particularly 1881-S. Cheap, plentiful, and generally nicer than average compared to most other years/eras.

Still, if just looking for a type coin you'd be wise to look for that best example possible instead of focusing on a certain date/mint. Also, don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket. Even though of a very plentiful type, wait for the right coin to come along and don't hold yourself to a specific amount of money or try to push it. Oftentimes it's better to pay up for something truly nice. Good luck.

4. CoinBlazer

ok!

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think it all depends on the extents of your type set. If you plan to include a lot of coins that will barely be within budget in the AU/MS grades (Barber / earlier material), you'll probably end up compromising the grade on those coins to afford them. Therefore, because so many Morgan Dollar dates are available in AU and mint state for comparatively little money, I suggest delaying a purchase on one until you see just the right coin for $25- $30 and save the difference to keep a more expensive type within reach. I'd also resist the temptation to buy a screaming gorgeous BU coin simply because you love it. Remebre your goal . . . to assemble a type set which, I assume, you want to end up well-matched. If that's the case, selecting a very attractive AU58 Morgan might preferable to a mint state coin so that the balance of your set better matches that coin.

6. CoinBlazer

So your saying you don't want a hodge podge of MS 67s and AU 50s? Keep it well averaged?

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you're looking to build a nicely matched set, then ToughCOINS has some good advice.

If you're looking to get the best quality for $100, check out 1885 O. It has a high mintage, and MS-63 or 64 coins are available for $100. You can also get some really nicely toned coins for this price. And, it's pretty much you're only chance to get a New Orleans coin into your set at that price.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes. The best sets are made of a good balance of coins - a set that is all AU, but chosen with original, eye appealing, attractive coins which are matched is almost always going to look better than a mix of all sorts of grades. When starting a set, take a look at the price range you can afford, and your budget, and build the set with that in mind.

CoinBlazer likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

It depends on what YOU want to achieve. If you want a well-matched set (as he said he assumes), he offered fine advice. However, this is your hobby and collection to do with as you see fit. With this in mind, and assuming you're doing this one for personal enjoyment, there is no right or wrong.

ToughCOINS likes this.
  10. CoinBlazer

I'm trying this to be a long term collection +5 years, that's if I can keep interest that long

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

when were Morgan Dollars made of gold ??
    typo for "good stuff"?

12. BooksB4Coins

That's good, but also keep in mind that it's very common for interests to change over time and is especially true for those newer to the hobby. I've known quite a few over the years who jumped in face first, often spending serious money on coins they loved at that moment, but ended up selling at a (sometimes significant) loss once piqued by something else.

As I believe I said earlier, if money is an issue don't push it. As nice as buying something you'd really like can be, there's nothing wrong with investing in yourself by educating yourself. The more you truly know the better the buying experience can be.

Generally speaking it's usually best to buy the "nicest" example you can afford, but keep in mind this does necessarily mean the highest grade. Truly nice and original coins will often sell themselves and is usually why you won't find a dealer's best material sitting in an Allstate case. Just take it slow and make sure this is something you truly want to do.

13. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

He’s talking about a type set.

14. CoinBlazer

I'm doing a US type set and I thought I would start with a morgan. Including US Pre 33 Gold

15. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I think he meant gold coins from before 1933, which of course are made of gold. Morgans were never made of gold.

CoinBlazer likes this.
  16. CoinBlazer

Yep!

17. CoinBlazer

Your sig line
    from Ozark?

18. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Taurus57 likes this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

Old George did design a Goloid though. Does that count? ;)

20. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It's from "This Is Spinal Tap".

toned_morgan likes this.
  21. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Mine is a 1909-S Lincoln in EF-45 grade.
    I think you can find nice looking chocolate-brown specimens pretty easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted