If I find a coin online which is a bargain, how can i share the details?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Monster, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

With a plethora of honest, reputable dealers with online stores (and some of those also on eBay, by the way) and auction houses such as Heritage, David Lawrence and Great Collections readily available, I simply cannot comprehend why someone would risk $1,200 for a coin on “Offerup.”

I also have to wonder why somebody would be offering to sell a coin like that on a site like that. Maybe because he knows it won’t pass muster on a legitimate coin site regularly visited by knowledgeable eyes?

Do yourself a favor and stay away from those off sites. If you’ve got $1,200 to spend, go to a legitimate dealer. In fact, if you’ve got only $100 to spend, still go to a legitimate dealer!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Monster -

The guy offering to sell it may not be trying to scam anyone. But the coin, given what it is, could easily be a fake and he wouldn't even know it ! Or, he could be trying to scam people.

The point is - you do not know either way. And it's kinda silly to risk that much money on a coin when you can't tell if it's real or not. That's why people are suggesting you pass on any deal like this.

In today's world, people even make fake slabs, and then put fake coins in them. There are literally a hundred ways you could ripped off by buying a coin like that. If you are going to buy coins that cost more than few dollars, then you should buy them from reputable dealers - and only from reputable dealers ! And yo do that to protect yourself.

And that's all these folks are trying to do - protect you !

Monster likes this.
  4. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Not to mention these online meetup retail sites are also excellent feeding grounds for the run-of-the-mill thief. They will offer up higher value items, or contact people with these items for sale, and simply rob them. There have been several brutal murders in my region over the last few years that resulted from craigslist (or other similar sites) meet-ups. Be very careful.

Monster likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

I just jumped over to eBay (not the best source) to see what was being asked for an 1873-s.

$1,200 doesn’t even get you in the parking lot of the ballpark.

Nathan401 and Monster like this.
  6. Monster

Monster Member

I don't know just what horrors have happened to you all. Is it really that bad where you are? Where you can't trust anybody? I have purchased MANY items on offer up and sold many. Not once have I been burned. I'm not sure anymore if this new hobby is worth it, if this is what it's like out there.

7. Monster

Monster Member

That's what I found, but the consensus here is that its worth melt.

8. Santinidollar

What consensus that it’s worth melt? I’m pretty proficient in the written English language and the only consensus I read here is that you need to stay away from the coin.

micbraun and Monster like this.
  9. rte

rte Well-Known Member

If your local to the seller and can meetup at a safe location (say a bank that you can pull the money from)
    I'd say arrange to look at the coin.
    Check it out 6 ways to Sunday.
    Buy it.
    If you don't keep it, sell it for more and buy more gold.

I've seen that picture or one very similar someplace before, could be an Ebay seller's pirated picture.
    Most likely a scam.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Monster likes this.
  10. Santinidollar

One other thing — why did the seller use a Tiffany logo background?

jafo50 and Monster like this.
  11. Monster

Monster Member

I have no idea

12. Monster

Monster Member

What do you mean "we know that you bought it." What thread says I bought it?

13. Monster

Monster Member

14. Monster

Monster Member

1) I didn't buy it, what post are you talking about.
    2) I fully understand that members were "trying to protect me" from buying something that was fake. My sincerest thanks to all for that. In my opinion however, there was nothing about that ad that drew my attention as him being a scammer. I saw someone who needed money trying to sell something at a good price to get it quickly. And it WAS a good price. I don't see how someone could say that it wasn't when it was below melt. And I still don't think it's anyone's business to tell him how he should handle his own property (i.e. price too low, must be a fake, or why doesn't he get it graded, or why did he use a tiffany background....etc....). And I'm not exactly sure, but I think you stated that because I didn't know the answers to those questions, people like me are the problem? When people answer ads to buy something, they rarely know them.....right? Forgive me if I took it wrong, but that's how felt this whole post was heading...negatively.
    I want to do this hobby for fun, not to learn that I can't trust anyone. I already know there are fakes and I'm alert to them.
    I would like to know where you read that I bought it though.
    Thanks to all for all your advice and comments. Believe it or not, I do appreciate them all.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

But if you cannot identify them then you are subject to buying them. There are a great many collectors, and when I say great many the number almost defies counting, who have numerous fakes in their collections - and don't even know it.

So if you want to collect coins for fun, I heartily applaud your reason ! My advice to collectors is, always has been and always will be, to collect coins because you like them !

But there is a caveat that goes along with that - you simply must do it smartly. And as much as I hate to say it, the scenario you describe is not. In point of fact it is way beyond risky !

Monster likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The first red flag is that if he knows enough to say it might be the closed 3 variety, he knows enough to know the ballpark of what it's worth.

Why is he willing to take at least a $400 hit?

micbraun, Monster and baseball21 like this.
  17. Monster

Monster Member

Why does everyone assume I know what he is thinking? I do not know him, I have no idea what he is willing to take a $400 hit, or even if it is still available. And the only reason he knows about the closed 3 variety is because when I was considering buying it, I posted him and told him about it so no one took advantage of him.
    Sorry, don't mean to be so harsh, but this stupid post of mine has brought so many harsh words it's been hard. Especially when I'm just trying to learn all I can. I thought I was doing a good thing by sharing. I know now that I should not do that. Thanks for answering though.

jafo50 likes this.
  18. Monster

Monster Member

Thanks again, lesson learned.

19. Santinidollar

I thought you were interested in buying a coin. Why so much effort to defend a seller you don’t even know? I’m puzzled.

20. Monster

Monster Member

I'm defending him because he's being called every negative name in the book and no one even knows him or why he is selling it, including me.

21. Santinidollar

I don’t think anyone is calling him negative names. Out of hard experience, we’ve been trying to tell you the hazards of buying a coin like that off a site like that. It has nothing to do with whether the seller helps old ladies and is kind to small animals.

I don’t think there’s any danger that a person on this site will deal for that coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted