If I couldn't buy the 2020 Mayflower gold set ...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by johnmilton, Nov 20, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

At least I have this ...

James I Half Laur O.jpg James I Half Laur R.jpg

Here is another view of it, which shows the luster, but also some of the warts.

James I Laurel O Angle.jpg James I Laurel R angle.jpg

This is a King James I coin, a half laurel. It had a value of ten shillings, which was marked on the piece with the Roman numeral "X". It was introduced in 1619, the year before the Mayflower voyage. The coin got its name from the laural wreath the king is wearing on the obverse.

Many other gold coins were issued during James I's reign. They included sovereign, the angel, the crown, Spur ryal and new denomination, the Unite. This coin, which had a value of 20 shillings, and later 22 shillings, celebrated the uniting of the Scotish and English crowns under James I.

James I Unite O.jpg James I Unite R.jpg

By 1612, the value of gold had reached the point where the value of the gold coins in circulation had be raised, or the weight over the new gold coins had to be lower. This accounted for the introduction of the laural.

The laural would be issued for a very short period. By the time James' son, Charles I came to the throne in 1625, it's time had ended. Still, it is interesting to be able to hold a coin in your hands that existed at the time when the Mayflower set sail.

And, yes I was able to order the two piece Mayflower commemorative set this morning. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

This is why I love this site - I get introduced to so many different niches & sub-sets of numismatics here - so many educated & experienced collectors that willingly share all of their knowledge for others. I love learning about ancients, early gold, tokens.

Just thought I would let you all know it is appreciated. :shame:

Cheers.

Evan Saltis, -jeffB and johnmilton like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted