if found this 1944d cent has white mtal showing on and somwhat sticks to magnet

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mago, Nov 10, 2015.

?

could this be an error

1. any

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. any

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. mago

mago New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Old plating probably.

tommyc03 and spirityoda like this.
  4. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Instinctively this is what I was going to say, but what kind of plating on a 1944 cent would end up looking like these pics. If it were gold plated or steel plated the areas that are showing "white" should be copper and the protected areas should be the color of the plating.

I'm not putting this in the error category or saying its a true steel 44, its definitely PDM but just wondering what's going on with it. One of those you'd have to truly see in hand, I'd bet.

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Tell me if I'm seeing this wrong but.... The high points on the coin are worn and show a silver color while the low point show a copper color. If it was plated won't the high points be copper colored and the low points be silver colored? Is it possible that someone plated this coin copper?

6. phankins11

we both said the same thing :)

7. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Gasp!!!! Maybe someone plated an extremely rare steel 1944 penny with copper!

JPeace$ and Kentucky like this.
  8. phankins11

its doubtful...but the coin has an odd look...one that you wouldn't expect.

I'm wondering if the metal we are seeing in the worn areas isn't just a different color of copper and this was a gold or copper plated cent...

rooman9 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

His title says, Somewhat sticks to magnet..o_O
    A true 1944 Steel transitional error would COMPLETELY stick to a magnet! Not somewhat.

eddiespin and phankins11 like this.
  10. phankins11

But paddyman...what's goin' on with that coin?! I wanna know.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

Good question, the Obverse clearly looks plated. The Reverse is weird.. maybe they took a thin brush and just colorized the High Points. But I doubt that someone would copper plate a Steel 1944 :yuck:

12. paddyman98

@mago - Welcome to CoinTalk.. you don't need a poll if you don't want one. Just skip that step at the end and hit the Create Thread button

13. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a BRASS coating that's rubbed off. With a zinc coating underneath...

[​IMG]

I haven't tried this. So I don't know for sure if any zinc coating survives under the brass coating.

But it "somewhat" sticks to a magnet? That's a mystery...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  14. paddyman98

Interesting but I doubt it. The Wheat cent copper penny is 95% copper with near 5% of zinc and a very minute amount of tin mixed in.

15. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

The 1944 cents were made from spent shell casings. I'd guess it's a planchette error.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. COCollector

Maybe I wasn't clear: The video shows how to create a thin layer of zinc on a copper penny.

Then by heating, the zinc layer combines with copper. This creates a thin brass layer.

Watch the above video: "...the brass layer will eventually wear off."

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

18. paddyman98

Oh I see.. I honestly didn't watch the video when you posted it. Was getting dressed for work. Now I saw it. Cool stuff :watching:

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

10 bucks? More like $50

20. COCollector

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Plated with nickel and then gold plated/washed. With wear the gold wash wears through exposing the nickel plating. Nickel is magnetic but there is such a small amount there that it "somewhat" sticks to the magnet. The reason for the nickel platig is because the gold will plate to the nickel better than copper.

paddyman98 and phankins11 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted