If 1965 quarters were worth anything...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bugo, Jul 21, 2013.

1. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

...I'd be broke from buying all of them that I find. I see them more often than any other pre-2000 quarter by far. I did, however, pull a nice 1964 quarter from a roll last night, my first silver quarter. The same is true about 1965 dimes, but I've found several '64 and back Roosevelt dimes. But those '65s are very common for 48 year old coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

so true! i constantly find 1965,66,and 67 quarters and dimes (not to mention 1971 halves) i used to save them but now i find so many that i just spend them.

4. Rickipedia

Rickipedia Korean YN at 12

I wonder if it will ever raise in value in 2065?

5. The Goldeneye

The Goldeneye Man with the Golden Coin

They'll probably have some other guy's head on them by then.

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

1965 and 1966 have some nice doubled die coins. Are you checking for those before spending them??

7. 19Lyds

This is difficult to say since big dollar coin purchases have more to do with "popularity" than actual rarity. In other words, if a coin has an acceptable story (whether its true or not) then the coin will attract attention. Big ticket buyers like to have something to say about what they spent thousands or hundreds of thousands on. If there's no story, then folks could care less.

1965 was actually a banner year in coin production as the US Mint settled on the copper-nickel cladding and once production started, they quickly realized how hard these coins actually are! Usually, the bigger the coin, the more difficult they were to produce.

Not only that, but the overall quality of the coins kinda sucked due in paret to the hardness of the metal squished up against that soft copper core. Unlike actual nickels which were a consistent metal throughout the coin, these copper nick clad coin were not and the end result can be seen in the quality of the coins themselves.

For the above reasons, a lot of these were not saved since everybody felt that the other guy would save them. The net result is that original bank bags or bank rolls of 1965 quarters could show a significant premium over face value.

Are the individual coins worth keeping? Probably not but they do need to be checked for the doubled dies. You see, since the doubled dies represented a certain low percentage of production, the longer folks go without looking for them, then the harder they will be to find.

8. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Yeah... with close to 2 billion of them minted they're going to pop up in your change pretty frequently... Where they're not going to pop up ever... is in a Mint set, because no mint sets were made that year (only SMS). This shrinks the pool of quality uncirculated coins available to collectors. The majority of coins struck were also of a relatively poor quality. It's no wonder that, of those 2 billion coins this is all PCGS has graded...

MS64: 60 MS65:132 MS66:200 MS67:20

I don't think anyone (like 19Lyds just mentioned) was really putting any rolls of these away in 1966 but like you today bugo, those circulated silver 1964's... now those... those were definitely worth tucking away...:rolleyes:

Having scoured many a coin show I'd like to say that 1965 quarters are worth something, actually alot more than a junk silver 1964 quarter, in uncirculated grades. In MS, I actually consider it to be one of the more promising coins in the clad series.

bugo likes this.
  9. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

yeah havent found any yet :(

10. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

its amazing how well clad coins last compared to silver counter parts. I bet these 60's clad coins will last a hundred year with no collector value

11. Cochisz

Cochisz Chief coin collector

We won't have coins by 2065 it will be all debit cards and credit cards.
    Maybe we will be paying for everything with our IPhones .
    Wonder w hat else will be around that we will be using for paying our bills.

12. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

so sad.........
    i think there will always be some form of physical money

13. silv

silv Active Member

MS clad Washingtons been growing on me! It's what I grew up with.

14. 19Lyds

Ditto.

I kinda miss the Heraldic Eagle Reverse!

15. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

These went into production as the roll and bag market were collapsing and were released in November 1965 when it was in shambles. Millions had been setting aside new rolls and bagsa but when the market collapsed and mintages skyrocketed they just quit. People espew cially didn't like clad because they were no longer silver so the very few coins saved were mostly cents and nickels.

However there were at least a few hundred people who were saving the news clads and were very disappointed they couldn't get a premium in '67, or '68 or even in 1969. Each year that went by fewer and fewer were saved and most of the coins set aside were released back into circulation. The mint had not only taken all the fun out of saving new coins but they took all the profit out of it. Now days you'll rarely find any of these rolls but '65 is the most likely date.

silv likes this.
  16. BBanker

BBanker Junior Member

I think there will always be physical money around as long as there are collectors. I just wish I would have kept all my change when I was a kid back in the early 50s.:)

Bambooski likes this.
  17. silv

silv Active Member

cladking, so even into the 70s and 80s not many clad quarter rolls were being saved right? And most, right out of the rolls, were barely even MS65 quality?

18. silv

silv Active Member

19. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Other than the '76 quarters almost none were saved. If not for the mint sets some dates would be almost scarce above VF.

It depends on the date but some of these the typical quality is what I call MS-35. These coins are so poorly made they have no more detail than a VF. Some dates aren't too bad and some are awful.

20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

21. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I reckon that a lot of '76 bicey quarters were bought in rolls and later broken up and used as pocket change because I find a LOT of them in change and in rolls. I've found something like 65 of them in the last 2 months. I've even found about 5 bicey halves in circulation in the last 5 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted