Idiot's Confession

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mojavedave, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I am an idiot. This is for all other idiot's who fall under this definition. " The English idiot originally meant “ignorant person,” but the more usual reference now is to a person who lacks basic intelligence or common sense rather than education."

If you don't want to get burned, take a lesson from me. I saw what I thought was a great deal on a 1964 Kennedy sample graded by PCGS MS for $ 20.00 bucks. I the idiot thought this was a sample coin from the mint. After contacting PCGS I learned after the fact that this is a PCGS sample coin given away as to promote their sample coin holders.

Lesson learned as with all coins, know what you are buying.

Dave

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Live and learn. I knew that sample meant the case was a sample (sometimes the coin in the slab does not match), but so many things I don't know.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't be too hard on yourself Dave. A lot of folks like to collect sample slabs. I, myself, try and pick them up at major shows when I can.

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

You may not be fully messed over by this. Some people collect different slabs, by the generation the slab is. Resell it.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

You have fallen into a good thing. I'd call it a VERY good thing. Even the coin itself it pretty nice.

John Johnson and Lawtoad like this.
  7. green18

That's an OGH, so it might be a tad more valuable.

John Johnson and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  8. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

One reason this site exists is so people can share stories of how they got burned as to warn the masses. That said, I don't think $20.00 for that is much of a burn - list it on eBay, send me a link, and I'll give you $20.00 for it. :D

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Yup, I have one buddy who specializes in sample slabs. He has WAAAAAY more than I would have dreamed existed.

10. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Dude, I wish my last idiot episode had only cost me $20 less the value of a decent silver half.

EyeAppealingCoins likes this.
  11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Thanks Green, I might be out $20.00, but you sure make me feel better.
    :) < )

Randy Abercrombie and green18 like this.
  12. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Yeah that's not a bad purchase actually. Kind of cool.

You'll note the sample slabs have fake cert numbers, in this case 12345678.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Do NOT assume that merely because the label says only "MS" that it's a MS60. It's far better than that. It obviously was a "roll pull" by PCGS staffers making promotional pieces as "Thank You" gifts for dealers at some past show.

14. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Thanks Kurt. The coin is judged as a MS, Which i don't agree. Maybe EF.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Wow, you're too tough. It's in the MS63-4 range, by my eyesight.

16. green18

Way better than XF...........

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Tell you what. I have a NGC GRADED one at MS65 that isn't as nice as this one, but yes, it does have toning, which makes people go nuts.

18. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I am not a collector of sample slabs, however i most likely would've picked this one up, if it had crossed my path.
    I know very little, but I've learned here that sample slabs can command premiums.
    Even if you're out 20 dollars, small price to pay for a "lesson".

19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

In my opinion you did not get burned. You picked up an interesting part of PCGS' past. There is a decent following for sample slabs from both PCGS and NGC. If you do a quick eBay search on "PCGS Sample Kennedy" you'll see you actually did pretty well on your "pick". Sold listings average from a high of $45.00 down to around $20.00 with several in the $30.00 range.

green18 likes this.
  20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You didn't get burned. You're giving us true idiots a bad reputation by calling yourself an idiot.

21. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

don't all coins come from the mint ?

Draft saved Draft deleted