Ides of March Denarius -- NAC 70

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Apr 10, 2013.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I wonder if other high-profile coins on the NAC auctions are getting prices that are equally as strong? Will be interesting to see when the "Prices Realized" are assembled and posted.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

My guess would be that they are. From what I hear from many sources, the high end stuff keeps moving up, (even without the Sheik), but the middle is soft. In this context, (the context of higher end ancient auctions), "the middle" means run of the mill $3-8k coins. I heard NYINC auctions were all that way, good stuff doing well, middle-low end extremely hit or miss.

In this regard, sounds like ancients are behaving like US coins. I hear the same story there, high end has strength, low end people can still afford, the middle becoming very soft.

4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Me too, but I did just win something pretty exciting anyway, which I'll post soon :)

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

We all look forward to your posts.

I am waiting for an auction to end in an hour or so. I am pretty anxious. Not in your league, but its a pretty cool coin for me. One of those, "the coin is not so fantastic but the story behind it is pretty fascinating" kind of things.

6. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Thats OK, they can go right ahead and soften my middle! If its rare beat up and a tetradrachm its got my name on it!

7. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I will guess +250,000 Euro before fees.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, that's insane ... man, I could probably buy myself 2, or 3 sweet retirement houses in Arizona for that same amount!!

Ummm, should I buy myself a Cul-de-sac, or should I buy myself that coin ......

=> It kinda reminds me of Jack's tough decision, in the ol' Beanstalk-tale!! (Cow, or magic beans?)

Jack Beanstalk.jpg

Ancient Joe => my hat is off to you, my friend => you've definitely taken coin-collecting to a Grand-scale!! (it must be quite a rush making those massive-bids?!!) ... that sounds very cool/exciting!! (good luck on your next adventure!!)

9. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

$200,000. Over 50 are known, but it is arguably the most historical and famous ancient coin type of all. It is offered by NAC, the firm which offers the finest coins from the most outstanding collections. It will be vetted by all the major dealers and collectors. If it passes their inspection, and I think it has and will again, we can presume it is genuine. If it went well above $200,000, I would not be surprised.

10. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

I am kicking myself! I should have gone for it!

Draft saved Draft deleted