Identifying World Medal : The Peace of Breda

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by icerain, Dec 25, 2014.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

It took me nearly two years to ID this medal correctly since the day I picked it up. But its all thanks to a book that I haphazardly flipped through at a used book store.I had almost given up after googling this medal to death. First, here is the book...

[​IMG]
    Scher, from the Frick Collection

and now the medal...

[​IMG]

although its a re-strike of the original I managed to find all the information I wanted.

Christoffel Adolfszoon
    The Peace of Breda. Originally struck in silver in 1667.
    71mm

Obverse: Facing female personification of the United Provinces or Neederland, wearing a helmet, a breastplate over a loose talaric chiton, and high laced sandals. In her right hand she holds a scepter terminating in an open eye and in her left a spear with seven arrows attached, representing the seven provinces. She stands upon the naked, gorgon-headed female figure of Envy, who holds a heart in her left hand and a snake in her right, and is flanked at left by a lamb and at right a lion. In the background are warships, burning at left, undamaged at right. Beyond, the castle of Breda.
    The legends are MITIS ET FORTIS; Gentle and Strong. PROCUL HINC MALA BESTIA REGNIS JUN 22 1667; Go away from these states you viscous beasts.

Reverse: Facing female personification of Peace with long flowing hair, wearing a loose talaric chiton off the right shoulder and an oak-wreath crown. In her right hand she holds a sheathed sword with an olive or laurel wreath on its point, her left arm supports a large cornucopia, while her left hand holds a caduceus. She stands upon a broken sword, a "lobster-tail" helmet, a crown, and a moneybag. In the background, ships at sea; above, a hand emerges from clouds holding cords from which are suspended the shields of Great Britain at left and the Netherlands at right. From the top swags of flowers and fruit hang on either side. Passing from left to right behind the head of Peace is a long banderole with legend IRATO BELLUM PLACATO NUMINE PAX EST; War from an angry divinity, peace from one appeased. Exergue legends REDIIT CONCORDIA MATER BREDAE JUL 31 1667. ; Maternal Concord has returned at Breda 31 July 1667, followed by the shield of Breda.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Its a long read but I hope it helps others and interests other fellow medal collectors. There are actually more historical notes about the striking of the medal, but I felt that was long enough. Plus my fingers are pretty tired after typing all of that. :D

jello likes this.
  4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

@icerain
    Do recall the Dutch 1600 metal I posted about year and half ago ??

It was the Kings death metal it was about 5 inches round my buddy found at a yard sale?
    it my be in that book?? I believe his son had it issued.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man, that's pretty sweet IR. every now and then when you guys post stuff like this i get very tempted to go for some medals.

icerain and spirityoda like this.
  6. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

If you post the picture again, I can check if its in the book.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Ok I think on my desktop and will get posted in morning

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1670 Token obv.2 jpg.jpg 1670 Token rev 2.jpg
    sorry for the bad photo 1670 is the date on it. what has written on it I have Forgot what it was but was in Dutch I think

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I don't see that medal in the book. If I come across other books or info. on it I will let you know.

jello likes this.
  10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

British. :) See here for example. Roughly in the middle; search for "Charles" on that page.

Christian

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Thank you for clearing that up.

12. Iosephus

Iosephus Well-Known Member

A very nice medal! The Dutch style of that period is rather unique among the medals of that time. FYI, this medal is also listed in Christopher Eimer's book on British medals since, though Dutch in origin, it concerns Britain. In the 2010 revision of Eimer, it is listed as number 240.

Draft saved Draft deleted