Identifying Mint Errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 1stSgt22, Jan 2, 2021.

1. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

SO! Which type of mint error do you think is the most difficult to identify accurately? My thoughts are Doubled Die is the most difficult.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I agree Sarge. What's the easiest : Parking lot coins and Dryer coins . cropped-letting-go-open-hands.jpg

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Bob Evancho and 1stSgt22 like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Parking lot and dryer coins are not mint errors Sal. When you give advice please remember that newcomers to the hobby are reading these threads and they are confused enough to begin with.

7. SensibleSal66

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Sorry, but if the information you are giving is valueless it makes your 2 cents worthless

Mountain Man and Spark1951 like this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Parking lot and dryer coins are not errors, just damaged...Spark

10. SensibleSal66

:oops:. It was the joke that mattered.

11. Rob Woodside

Rob Woodside Member

Thanks Paddyman98 for the informative links. There is obviously a problem as the first link says that die cracks are a mint error ("Defective Die – Coin has raised metal from a large die crack or small rim break") and the second calls it a variety
    ("Some die variety examples are:
    • Re-engravings
    • Over Polishings
    • Repunched Mint Marks/Dates
    • And Die Cracks.")

12. Rob Woodside

Rob Woodside Member

The die rotations in the Diving Goose Dollar range from tiny, that no one cares about and probably within mint tolerances, to very noticeable but less than 45 degrees, and above 45 degrees a diving goose VARIETY with a second axis VARIETY at exactly 180 degrees. There certainly is some confusion here, perhaps mine.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

When you're averaging almost 50 posts per day, there are bound to be some mistakes :eggface: :facepalm: :hilarious:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

15. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Sal I understood the joke!! Thanks everyone for the replies.

16. Rob Woodside

Rob Woodside Member

Sorry I missed the joke. Surely a variety is an intentional die alteration and an error is a malfunction during production. Damage occurs in circulation

17. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

18. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Where would the clandestinely made or secretively made mint anomalies be identified accurately? A die struck nail for example. Is it a mint error or fake or??? Doubled dies are different that machine doubling and easily identified. Is a MULE coin an error or a variety if only one or two are known ( made clandestinely) or if twenty or more are know? Is it an error when a mint employee pairs up incorrect obverse and reverse dies or is it a variety depending on how many are minted? The posters question, So what type of mint error is most difficult to identify accurately?

Draft saved Draft deleted